Jun 26, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
We have an official no-hitter alert in Cincinnati.
Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo, who entered the night with a pedestrian 4.19 ERA, has tossed seven innings against the Brewers without allowing a hit. He’s fanned three and issued zero walks, and the only thing keeping him from being on perfect game watch was a hit-by-pitch of Ryan Braun in the first.
Arroyo is at 82 pitches (56 strikes) entering the eighth inning. We’ll provide updates from here on out.
UPDATE, 9:06 PM: Arroyo struck out Travis Ishikawa to open the eighth, then walked George Kottaras. Taylor Green followed with a double into the right field corner, ending Arroyo’s shot at history. Corey Hart doubled in two runs in the very next at-bat, spoiling Arroyo’s chance at a shutout. All is back to normal.
UPDATE, 9:18 PM: Arroyo is out. He wound up allowing three runs on three hits over 7 2/3 innings.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)