Jun 26, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
I’m having a hard time thinking of any jobs short of commissioner that Frank Robinson hasn’t held with Major League Baseball. Well, he’s got another one. Jimmie Lee Solomon’s old gig:
Hall of Famer Frank Robinson has been appointed Major League Baseball’s Executive Vice President of Baseball Development, Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today.
In his new role, Robinson will lead the management of MLB’s Urban Youth Academies in Compton, Houston and Puerto Rico, as well as the development of future sites in New Orleans, Hialeah (FL) and Philadelphia. Robinson also will be responsible for overseeing the Civil Rights Game and the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game.
Robinson managed the Indians, Giants, Orioles, Expos and Nationals. He was the Orioles’ assistant GM for a spell. He has also been the Vice President of On-Field Operations, the Special Advisor to the Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations, a Special Assistant to the Commissioner, a Senior Vice President for Major League Operations and has served on Bud’s Special Committee for On-Field Matters since it began.
Really, they ought to just start listing the stuff he hasn’t done with MLB. It’ll make the press releases shorter.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)