Jun 26, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
I’m having a hard time thinking of any jobs short of commissioner that Frank Robinson hasn’t held with Major League Baseball. Well, he’s got another one. Jimmie Lee Solomon’s old gig:
Hall of Famer Frank Robinson has been appointed Major League Baseball’s Executive Vice President of Baseball Development, Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today.
In his new role, Robinson will lead the management of MLB’s Urban Youth Academies in Compton, Houston and Puerto Rico, as well as the development of future sites in New Orleans, Hialeah (FL) and Philadelphia. Robinson also will be responsible for overseeing the Civil Rights Game and the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game.
Robinson managed the Indians, Giants, Orioles, Expos and Nationals. He was the Orioles’ assistant GM for a spell. He has also been the Vice President of On-Field Operations, the Special Advisor to the Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations, a Special Assistant to the Commissioner, a Senior Vice President for Major League Operations and has served on Bud’s Special Committee for On-Field Matters since it began.
Really, they ought to just start listing the stuff he hasn’t done with MLB. It’ll make the press releases shorter.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 114
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (78)