Jun 26, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
I’m having a hard time thinking of any jobs short of commissioner that Frank Robinson hasn’t held with Major League Baseball. Well, he’s got another one. Jimmie Lee Solomon’s old gig:
Hall of Famer Frank Robinson has been appointed Major League Baseball’s Executive Vice President of Baseball Development, Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today.
In his new role, Robinson will lead the management of MLB’s Urban Youth Academies in Compton, Houston and Puerto Rico, as well as the development of future sites in New Orleans, Hialeah (FL) and Philadelphia. Robinson also will be responsible for overseeing the Civil Rights Game and the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game.
Robinson managed the Indians, Giants, Orioles, Expos and Nationals. He was the Orioles’ assistant GM for a spell. He has also been the Vice President of On-Field Operations, the Special Advisor to the Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations, a Special Assistant to the Commissioner, a Senior Vice President for Major League Operations and has served on Bud’s Special Committee for On-Field Matters since it began.
Really, they ought to just start listing the stuff he hasn’t done with MLB. It’ll make the press releases shorter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)