Jacoby Ellsbury nearly ready for rehab assignment

Jun 26, 2012, 10:15 PM EDT

jacoby ellsbury getty Getty Images

From Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston comes word that Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury is set to begin a minor league rehab assignment on Friday.

Ellsbury will start his rehab by serving as the designated hitter in simulated games at extended spring training in Fort Myers, Florida. If that goes smoothly, he will eventually be allowed to report to one of the organization’s minor league affilliates.

The 28-year-old center fielder has been on the disabled list since April 14 with a dislocated right shoulder. He registered a spectacular .321/.376/.552 batting line with 32 home runs, 105 RBI and 39 stolen bases across a league-leading 732 plate appearances last season and should provide a big spark for the Boston offense when he returns to major league action shortly after the All-Star break.

1. randygnyc - Jun 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Problem is, jacoby wants to play, just not for the sox. He’d like half a season to remind other teams of his talents. He’s gone.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Very interesting…when did you talk to him last?

2. allbucdup - Jun 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM

He is still under contract for next season too.

PS dont believe the media.

• jwbiii - Jun 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM

But. . . but. . . Mike Francesa told me everybody wants to play in New York!

3. theskinsman - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Randy,randy,randy… just like the rest of the Yankoff posters, worried that their all-star team hasn’t put any distance from the pack? Or worried about Jeter coming out of the closet?
    This is the make up whatever you want thread,right?

• trapper17 - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I love it yeah when is jeter coming out party and that’s right I would b worried about us when we get healthy check out my reason why they should be worried about us I posted stats unless they hit home runs they rarely win they can’t shake us as badly as we started out watch out we’re coming yanks

4. trapper17 - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I don’t want jacoby to leave but if he is going to make it hard for them to resign him then trade him we should get a bonafide number one ace for him or a big time slugger and oh yeah everyone wants to play for the yanks except for me u couldn’t pay me enough money to play for the team that ruined the game of baseball

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3469)