Jun 26, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
No. 1 pick Carlos Correa and No. 2 pick Byron Buxton signed almost immediately and are both already playing in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League, and Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that the Mariners are close to coming to terms with No. 3 pick Mike Zunino.
Last week Zunino was named Baseball America‘s college player of the year and the University of Florida catcher was unable to sign until the Gators were eliminated from the College World Series, so the delay is nothing out of the ordinary and, like most picks, he’ll be under contract long before he would’ve been under the old collective bargaining agreement.
Slot value for the No. 3 pick is $5.2 million, so it’ll be interesting to see if Zunino can get that full amount after both Correa and Buxton took below-slot deals from the Astros and Twins.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 7
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)