Minor league team loses game when batter fails to touch home on game-tying home run

Jun 26, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT

This video comes via Deadspin.  It’s of Raul Mondesi Jr. hitting what he and everyone else in the park believed to be a game-tying homer in the 10th inning of a Pioneer League game.  Except for one thing: you gots to touch home plate when you hit a dinger, Raul:

This is what they call a “teaching moment.” Unless of course Mondesi never makes the big leagues, in which case it will hang around his neck for the rest of his life like an albatross which swallowed a millstone or some such thing.

1. Jeremy T - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I think the confused silence fading into angry booing is my favorite part

2. steveohho - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Bummer!

3. icanspeel - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That is hilarious because there is no question he missed it in the video. Heads up by the ump and other team for watching to record the out.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I don’t know how this can be a teaching moment unless Mondesi jr. thinks you don’t have to touch the plate on homeruns.

• madhatternalice - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It’s a teaching moment because the lesson is:

The game isn’t over until the game is over. In this came, the game is over when Mondesi touches home plate. Don’t celebrate beforehand, don’t lose your focus beforehand, don’t step out of the game beforehand. Once you touch home plate, go celebrate.

• madhatternalice - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:16 PM

**In this GAME

I’d ask for an edit function, but that doesn’t seem to be happening either :)

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Actually the game would not have been over because it was a game tying homer. And sorry, because it was only a tie game now there were no cheering teammates obstructing him from touching home plate. He’s a young profesional but he’s probably been playing this game since he was a small child. I dont think being excited is a good reason to miss the plate.

• Max Power - Jun 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I believe Mondesi would also like an edit function.

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Too funny. The guys had no Idea how to get the out either. So, the ball went in the seats, he never touched home Ump, what do we do?

6. erikh24 - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Yes, a real chip off the ol’ block.

7. dracko19 - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Can you provide a link when you post a video since the iPad won’t show 98% of your vids?

8. marshmallowsnake - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

How many balks did that pitcher have when trying to get the out at home?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Several false starts, but it’s my understanding that a balk is only called when runners are on base, and after the home run that clearly was not the case.

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Correct, that is the case…he really did not look like he knew what he was doing.

9. bigleagues - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

AWESOME.

Also awesome . . . a professional player – the pitcher – didn’t seem to know that he doesn’t need to wind-up before throwing the ball home to the Catcher.

Lots of teaching moments in here!

10. hyde4us11 - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I had this happen when I was coaching little league. The kid that hit the HR never hit much at all let alone a HR. I had to call a timeout to thick about what I should do. I decided my obligation was to the kids I coached 1st and foremost. I did feel awful and apologized to the kids coach after the game. We ended up winning by 3 runs so it didn’t really matter in the end. In the course of the game I wasn’t sure if it would comeback to haunt me if I let it stand. Did I do the right thing?

11. tjwilliams - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I know it was the right all but, man, that ump could not get off the field fast enough.

12. beefytrout - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

The most confusing thing about that was why the pitcher refused to throw the ball to his catcher… “OK, throw me the ball. Throw the ball. OK, ball, me, throw. Throw. Throw. YES, YOU. THE BALL, THROW IT PLEASE.”

13. cmcgly - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

how do you score that??

• Senor Cardgage - Jun 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Triple.

Rule 10.06(d) (in part): If a batter-runner
      is called out after missing home plate, the official scorer shall credit him with a
      three-base hit.

Credit the putout to the catcher (rule 10.09(a)(2) comment) and give an assist to the pitcher (rule 10.10(a)(1) comment).

14. humanexcrement - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

There’s a Raul Mondesi, Jr.

Oh, boy, here we go….

15. lostsok - Jun 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Wow, the apple didn’t fall to far from THAT tree. At least he’s not in the Dodger organization.

One Mondesi in a lifetime is enough, thank you.

And please–PLEASE…tell me there isn’t a Milton Bradley, Jr. out there somewhere.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3493)