Jun 26, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Omar Vizquel has hinted at the likelihood several times, but he made it clear today that this is his final season in the majors.
NESN has the translated quotes:
“This will be my last year,” Vizquel said in Spanish. “I’ve enjoyed this game a lot, but I think it’s time to pursue a new career as a coach or manager, and hopefully I’ll get that opportunity in the future.”
Vizquel said his initial plan is to coach in Venezuela this winter and that he eventually hopes to be a major league manager.
As has been clear for some time, Vizquel will fall short of 3,000 career hits; he’s at 2,854 right now. Still, whether one believes he belongs in the Hall of Fame or not, he has had an incredible career. When he arrived at age 22, he was such a weak hitter that most were skeptical he’d last as a regular. Instead, he turned himself into an All-Star in his 30s and then, through remarkable fitness, remained a viable shortstop into his 40s.
Vizquel will retire as an 11-time Gold Glover and the all-time leader in career games at shortstop. He ranks second among active players in hits, seventh in runs scored and fifth in steals.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)