Jun 26, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
Being the pitching coach in Colorado can’t be an easy job. Bob Apodaca certainly has had enough of it as he has asked to be reassigned and the Rockies are granting him his wish. Bullpen coach Jim Wright will take over.
Apodaca has been with the Rockies for a decade, but as Troy Renck just tweeted, he seems to have been at the end of his rope for a while:
Apodaca asked to be reassigned. Know sounds crazy. But Dac looked like beaten man. Told me he was thinking of retiring at end of last season
— Troy Renck, Rockies (@TroyRenck) June 26, 2012
Apodaca is 62 years-old. Before the Rockies gig he was the pitching coach for the Brewers and before that the Mets. In the 70s he was a Mets reliever. Now it sounds like he’s got “special assistant” and “roving instructor” titles in his future.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)