Jun 26, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
Being the pitching coach in Colorado can’t be an easy job. Bob Apodaca certainly has had enough of it as he has asked to be reassigned and the Rockies are granting him his wish. Bullpen coach Jim Wright will take over.
Apodaca has been with the Rockies for a decade, but as Troy Renck just tweeted, he seems to have been at the end of his rope for a while:
Apodaca asked to be reassigned. Know sounds crazy. But Dac looked like beaten man. Told me he was thinking of retiring at end of last season
— Troy Renck, Rockies (@TroyRenck) June 26, 2012
Apodaca is 62 years-old. Before the Rockies gig he was the pitching coach for the Brewers and before that the Mets. In the 70s he was a Mets reliever. Now it sounds like he’s got “special assistant” and “roving instructor” titles in his future.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)