Jun 26, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
Ryan Howard is almost ready to play, though it still won’t be for the Phillies anytime soon. According to CSNPhilly.com:
Howard will be in Philadelphia Wednesday for functional testing of his healing Achilles. If he passes, he will begin a rehab assignment with Single-A Lakewood on Thursday.
It’ll be a lengthy rehab assignment, manager Charlie Manuel said:
I talked to him yesterday. He’s been doing real good. He’s looking forward to when he can come back. And more than likely I’d say, probably, from the looks of things it will be right – after the All-Star break. … He’s feeling real good. He told me that when he runs, he’s got a little limp.
Fortunately, Howard does less running than most.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)