Jun 26, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
Ryan Howard is almost ready to play, though it still won’t be for the Phillies anytime soon. According to CSNPhilly.com:
Howard will be in Philadelphia Wednesday for functional testing of his healing Achilles. If he passes, he will begin a rehab assignment with Single-A Lakewood on Thursday.
It’ll be a lengthy rehab assignment, manager Charlie Manuel said:
I talked to him yesterday. He’s been doing real good. He’s looking forward to when he can come back. And more than likely I’d say, probably, from the looks of things it will be right – after the All-Star break. … He’s feeling real good. He told me that when he runs, he’s got a little limp.
Fortunately, Howard does less running than most.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)