Jun 26, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
We hear a story about this every couple of years, but every couple of years some new parks have come online to make the differences between their amenities and those of the venerable Wrigley Field all the more stark:
The clubhouse, which was last renovated in 1990, is more notable for what it lacks than what it offers. There is no cafeteria, no TV lounge, no video room and no couches. The only indoor batting cage is under the bleachers in right field. And while players are free to use the Cubs’ weight room, the visiting clubhouse offers only a stationary bike.
“On some levels, it’s very similar to Dodger Stadium, but there, you’ve got little corridors and things that they’ve added,” Mets left fielder Jason Bay said. “At Wrigley Field, there’s no room to go anywhere.”
The home clubhouse is better, but that much better.
And your first impression may be “poor little millionaire ballplayers,” but the fact is, dudes have to work in this place for six months out of the year. If the money is fairly even on a free agent offer, bad facilities could make the difference.
The Cubs need to improve matters soon. Even if it they can’t get $300 million in taxpayer money to do it, which is the current plan.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)