Jun 26, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
We hear a story about this every couple of years, but every couple of years some new parks have come online to make the differences between their amenities and those of the venerable Wrigley Field all the more stark:
The clubhouse, which was last renovated in 1990, is more notable for what it lacks than what it offers. There is no cafeteria, no TV lounge, no video room and no couches. The only indoor batting cage is under the bleachers in right field. And while players are free to use the Cubs’ weight room, the visiting clubhouse offers only a stationary bike.
“On some levels, it’s very similar to Dodger Stadium, but there, you’ve got little corridors and things that they’ve added,” Mets left fielder Jason Bay said. “At Wrigley Field, there’s no room to go anywhere.”
The home clubhouse is better, but that much better.
And your first impression may be “poor little millionaire ballplayers,” but the fact is, dudes have to work in this place for six months out of the year. If the money is fairly even on a free agent offer, bad facilities could make the difference.
The Cubs need to improve matters soon. Even if it they can’t get $300 million in taxpayer money to do it, which is the current plan.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)