Jun 26, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
Blue Jays catcher of the future Travis d’Arnaud is going to miss the next 6-8 weeks with a torn PCL in his knee, Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reports.
D’Arnaud, who was slated to play for the U.S. team in next month’s Futures Game, was injured sliding into second base playing for Triple-A Las Vegas last night.
The 23-year-old d’Arnaud is hitting .333/.380/.595 with 16 homers and 52 RBI in 279 at-bats this season. He gets to play in a great hitter’s park in Vegas, but even in road games, he has a .343/.381/.577 line. Considered a better defender than J.P. Arencibia, he figured to be a September callup this year and a candidate to take over as the Jays’ primary catcher next year. That still might happen, but the possible two-month absence makes it less likely.
As for d’Arnaud’s replacement in the Futures Game, Boston’s Ryan Lavarnway would seem to be the obvious choice, except for the fact that the Red Sox already have two representatives. None of the teams with one one rep have any exceptional (and U.S. born) catching prospects.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)