Jun 26, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
Blue Jays catcher of the future Travis d’Arnaud is going to miss the next 6-8 weeks with a torn PCL in his knee, Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reports.
D’Arnaud, who was slated to play for the U.S. team in next month’s Futures Game, was injured sliding into second base playing for Triple-A Las Vegas last night.
The 23-year-old d’Arnaud is hitting .333/.380/.595 with 16 homers and 52 RBI in 279 at-bats this season. He gets to play in a great hitter’s park in Vegas, but even in road games, he has a .343/.381/.577 line. Considered a better defender than J.P. Arencibia, he figured to be a September callup this year and a candidate to take over as the Jays’ primary catcher next year. That still might happen, but the possible two-month absence makes it less likely.
As for d’Arnaud’s replacement in the Futures Game, Boston’s Ryan Lavarnway would seem to be the obvious choice, except for the fact that the Red Sox already have two representatives. None of the teams with one one rep have any exceptional (and U.S. born) catching prospects.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)