Jun 26, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
When Marlon Byrd was suspended yesterday a lot of people immediately looked, so to speak, at Victor Conte. Conte being (a) Byrd’s supplement guru; and (b) the guy behind BALCO, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Marion Jones and all the rest.
“I didn’t have anything to do with this,” said Conte when reached for comment. Yeah. Sure. Just what a dirty ex-con drug dealer would say! Get ‘em, boys!
“Victor had nothing to do with this,” Byrd told USA TODAY Sports in a text message. “He didn’t know about me taking tamoxifen or the positive test until two days ago” … The drug was supplied by a holistic lifestyle coach, Conte said, that Byrd declined to identify.
Byrd has taken a lot of crap over the years for working with Conte. But dude, he should be under WAY more scrutiny for listening to something called a “holistic life coach.”
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 11
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 16
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 25
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)