Jun 27, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
There’s something to be said for letting a kid play through some growing pains, but this has gotten absurd.
Twins shortstop Brian Dozier just committed his 11th error of the season, letting a routine grounder roll right between his legs to give the White Sox a run in the first inning. Even though he wasn’t even called up until May 6, he now has three more errors than any American League shortstop.
To put it nicely, his hitting has been no great shakes either. He entered the day with a .225/.249/.306 though 173 at-bats. Of the 210 players with at least 180 plate appearances this season, he ranks 206th with his .555 OPS. He’s struck out 33 times versus just six walks, and he’s even been thrown out on two of his four steal attempts.
So, if Dozier hasn’t been baseball’s worst player since his callup seven weeks ago, he’s almost certainly in the bottom five. It’s past time for the Twins to send him down for more seasoning. It’s not only in their best interests, but it’s probably in his as well, given that he can’t have much confidence left after struggling for so long.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)