Jun 27, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
There’s something to be said for letting a kid play through some growing pains, but this has gotten absurd.
Twins shortstop Brian Dozier just committed his 11th error of the season, letting a routine grounder roll right between his legs to give the White Sox a run in the first inning. Even though he wasn’t even called up until May 6, he now has three more errors than any American League shortstop.
To put it nicely, his hitting has been no great shakes either. He entered the day with a .225/.249/.306 though 173 at-bats. Of the 210 players with at least 180 plate appearances this season, he ranks 206th with his .555 OPS. He’s struck out 33 times versus just six walks, and he’s even been thrown out on two of his four steal attempts.
So, if Dozier hasn’t been baseball’s worst player since his callup seven weeks ago, he’s almost certainly in the bottom five. It’s past time for the Twins to send him down for more seasoning. It’s not only in their best interests, but it’s probably in his as well, given that he can’t have much confidence left after struggling for so long.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 0
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 80
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (345)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)