Chase Utley is back: batting third in tonight’s lineup

Jun 27, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

We figured this would happen, but now it’s official: Chase Utley is in tonight’s lineup, batting third and playing his usual second base. And Charlie Manuel announced the plan for him going forward. From CSNPhilly.com:

Charlie Manuel said Utley will play two games, then receive a day off, at least until the All-Star break. Because Utley played Tuesday for the IronPigs, he won’t play Thursday against Pittsburgh.

Makes sense to go slow. Welcome back, Chase Utley.

1. dkphilly1122 - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Welcome Back Chase, Welcome Back Chase F’ing Utley!!!! We’ve been waiting for your return. We allllllll know he’s not gonna make an immediate impact on the field……but he has a clubhouse personality that they need and been lacking. It’s great knowing he’s just back with the team and Howard doesn’t seem too far behind. He looked good today as well.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I guess Chase didn’t get the memo about not making an immediate impact.
      And I’m fine with that.

2. dannythebisforbeast - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I believe he makes an immediate impact. With his bat and his leadership. Maybe I’m beggin but I think he gives this team so much needed swagger back

• bleedgreen - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

He did indeed make an immediate impact. Literally.

3. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Chase Utley.

CHASE FU**ING UTLEY!!!!!

4. deepstblu - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM

HR first time up. Gotta love it. (And Chooch makes it back-to-back!)

5. dannythebisforbeast - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

1st AB Ouuttttaaaa here. Chase Utley you ARE THE MAN

6. astrosfan75956 - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Update. Utley homers in first AB!

7. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I just called that home run bigtime…picked up my cell phone and filmed 1 pitch of Utley’s AB and he smashes the pitch into the right field stands! I even got the proof….

Way to come back in style, Chase!

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey