Jun 27, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
UPDATE: The worst news possible. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic just spoke with Kirk Gibson, and he says that Hudson has a torn UCL. Hudson’s agent says he’s going to get a second opinion, but that’s usually a one-way ticket to Tommy John surgery.
Sorry, Dbacks fans. Sorry, Hudson.
11:11 AM: The Diamondbacks have made up a ton of ground in the National League West over the past month, but they may have to continue their climb without one of their best pitchers.
Daniel Hudson left last night’s start against the Braves in the second inning with what was termed as right forearm tightness. After the game, he told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that it’s been a lingering issue. His 7.35 ERA would seem to agree with that.
“It’s been sore for the last few starts,” Hudson said of his elbow. “I’ve always had soreness in there. With my arm action, I just kind of figured it came with the territory. It’s been getting progressively worse. I just tried to pitch through it. Tonight it wasn’t happening.”
While Hudson has been pitching through soreness of late, it appears he kept it to himself. Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson didn’t hear anything about a possible issue until last night.
We should know more about the severity of the injury after Hudson goes for an MRI, but the 25-year-old right-hander admitted that he’s “pretty concerned.” He already had a stint on the disabled list earlier this season due to a right shoulder impingement.
The Diamondbacks have summoned left-hander Patrick Corbin to join the team in Atlanta, but it’s not clear if he’ll join the rotation. Trevor Bauer is slated to make his major league debut on Thursday and given the apparent serious nature of Hudson’s injury, he could have a rotation spot even after Joe Saunders returns from a shoulder strain.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)