Jun 27, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
UPDATE: The worst news possible. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic just spoke with Kirk Gibson, and he says that Hudson has a torn UCL. Hudson’s agent says he’s going to get a second opinion, but that’s usually a one-way ticket to Tommy John surgery.
Sorry, Dbacks fans. Sorry, Hudson.
11:11 AM: The Diamondbacks have made up a ton of ground in the National League West over the past month, but they may have to continue their climb without one of their best pitchers.
Daniel Hudson left last night’s start against the Braves in the second inning with what was termed as right forearm tightness. After the game, he told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that it’s been a lingering issue. His 7.35 ERA would seem to agree with that.
“It’s been sore for the last few starts,” Hudson said of his elbow. “I’ve always had soreness in there. With my arm action, I just kind of figured it came with the territory. It’s been getting progressively worse. I just tried to pitch through it. Tonight it wasn’t happening.”
While Hudson has been pitching through soreness of late, it appears he kept it to himself. Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson didn’t hear anything about a possible issue until last night.
We should know more about the severity of the injury after Hudson goes for an MRI, but the 25-year-old right-hander admitted that he’s “pretty concerned.” He already had a stint on the disabled list earlier this season due to a right shoulder impingement.
The Diamondbacks have summoned left-hander Patrick Corbin to join the team in Atlanta, but it’s not clear if he’ll join the rotation. Trevor Bauer is slated to make his major league debut on Thursday and given the apparent serious nature of Hudson’s injury, he could have a rotation spot even after Joe Saunders returns from a shoulder strain.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)