Deep Thoughts: Derek Jeter day off edition

Jun 27, 2012, 1:00 PM EST

Derek Jeter Getty Images

Derek Jeter is not in today’s lineup. Yesterday was Derek Jeter’s birthday. I have a feeling those two things aren’t a coincidence.

An I think I speak for everyone when I say that there are a lot of times that I wish I was Derek Jeter.

Anyway, Jeter is now 38 years-old and is still the starting shortstop for a championship caliber team, he’s hitting .305 and there is no legit argument that he doesn’t deserve that job.  So much has been written about him over the years, lots of overheated praise, lots of legit criticism and vice-versa, but it’s undeniable that we’ve been watching one of the best ever for all of these years and sometimes it’s worth simply appreciating that.

1. cur68 - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Jeet’s had a birthday yesterday? I had no idea. Happy 38th, Jeets. Hope there was a gift basket in it for you.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I’m not sure Jeter got a gift basket, but I’d be willing to wager that he gave out a few of his special gift baskets last night…..or more likely early this morning.

• cur68 - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM

You’re probably right, ‘Army. I think its safe to say that many, many, MANY of us wish we were him.

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Since 5/1/12:
    .269/.319/.338

Would love to have April Derek Jeter back any day now…

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Shows you how good he was before then (for quite some time) that he could slump (as all players do) for over a month and still have a sparkling avg.

I think the point of the post was to appreciate more than the last 6 weeks though. To paraphrase Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men, “I think he’s earned it.”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Agreed, from about July 15th of last year, when he returned from the DL to April 30th, he was hitting like it was 2009 again. Unfortunately, bookending that period he hasn’t been that good. He’s back to hitting a ton of ground balls, not drawing walks and almost 0 power =\

3. ajcardsfan - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Happy Birthday Jeter, hope your hangover wasn’t too bad this morning.

Also, anybody else get reminded of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy from the title of this post?
    “My young son asked me what happens after we die. I told him we get buried under a bunch of dirt and worms eat our bodies. I guess I should have told him the truth – that most of us go to Hell and burn eternally – but I didn’t want to upset him.” – Jack Handy

4. garylanglais - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM

And CC Sabathia went on the DL with a groin strain. Jeter still knows how to throw a b-day bash

5. whatthehellisansky - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

The more and more I watch this guy the more apparent it becomes that he really is a legend. Nearly every broadcast you hear Jeter’s name mentioned alongside truly elite company, such as Hank Aaron, Ty Cobb, Gehrig, DiMaggio and many more.

Obviously i’m a Yankee fan so im biased – but i think all baseball fans should really stop and think about how lucky we are to have seen this guy do things the right way both on and off the field for almost 20 years.

and i’ll say one more thing:
    I for one wouldnt mind seeing him top Pete Rose’s hit record – although id say theres about a 5% chance he does it…

6. paperlions - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Yes, Jeter is great….but the guy that stands 30 feet to his right every night has been much better….much better hitter and much better fielder. Like him or not, the all-time great there is ARod.

• seeinred87 - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM

That’s exactly what I came in here to say. I get that people don’t like A-Rod, but he’s a better player than Jeter.

7. dawgpoundmember - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM

damn it drmonky…you beat me to the punch

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4442)
  2. M. Kemp (3591)
  3. M. Cabrera (2857)
  4. M. Morse (2531)
  5. J. Kang (2373)
  1. J. Upton (2356)
  2. C. Headley (2139)
  3. A. Rios (2112)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1832)
  5. J. Peavy (1790)