Jun 27, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Derek Jeter is not in today’s lineup. Yesterday was Derek Jeter’s birthday. I have a feeling those two things aren’t a coincidence.
An I think I speak for everyone when I say that there are a lot of times that I wish I was Derek Jeter.
Anyway, Jeter is now 38 years-old and is still the starting shortstop for a championship caliber team, he’s hitting .305 and there is no legit argument that he doesn’t deserve that job. So much has been written about him over the years, lots of overheated praise, lots of legit criticism and vice-versa, but it’s undeniable that we’ve been watching one of the best ever for all of these years and sometimes it’s worth simply appreciating that.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)