Dusty Baker told Aroldis Chapman: no more somersaults

Jun 27, 2012, 12:25 PM EST

Aroldis Chapman

More like Dusty Buzzkill, amirite?

Reds manager Dusty Baker made sure that closer Aroldis Chapman won’t be doing any more somersaults after finishing a game … Baker talked to Chapman about it and said on Wednesday that it will never happen again.

Baker understood that Chapman was happy about getting the save after giving up a game-losing homer his last time out. But he says Chapman needs to express his happiness in another way.

Something subdued that doesn’t put it all in the face of the other team when the Reds win. Sorta like how the teams literally shoots off fireworks after every home win.

1. heyblueyoustink - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I love it when the teams shoots fireworks!

Maybe Aroldis heard a loud noise, had a flashback from his youth in Cuba, and instantly went into a roll for protection. it’s all about muscle memory folks.

2. cur68 - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Frankly, I’m with Dusty on this. If ‘Roldy can’t do a proper Ozzie Smith backflip, something with class, dignity, and more than a soupçon of physical grace, then by Dog, walk off that mound like you’ve done this before, not like you’re learning a trick in grade 2.

3. annaalamode - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Would a double back be more dignified?

4. lpd1964 - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Big Deal-biggest non-story of the day.

5. madhatternalice - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM

So, it’s OK for an entire team to empty out of the dugout and jump around like idiots on a walk-off, but a single player celebration after the game is over isn’t acceptable? Double standard, thy name is MLB.

6. nightman13 - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I’m kind of torn on this one. On one hand you should act like a professional, but on the other hand they are playing a game. I get sick every time I hear an athlete say “it’s a business” so I guess I should enjoy when they treat it like a game.

Just as long as it doesn’t get out of control like the NFL where guys celebrate every catch, tackle, shoetying and ankle taping.

7. teamobijuan - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I hope next time he untucks his shirt first.

Like a boss.

8. chumthumper - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

My cousin knew what he was doing and did a nice somersault like that once. He ended up breaking his collar bone. So much for his senior year of football.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I think that aspect of it is what caused Dusty to put a stop to the behavior. Not that I see anything wrong with somersaults. Ozzie Smith did a mean backflip, but not necessarily after a win.

9. humanexcrement - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I really don’t get why this all this hubbub over this and comparatively none over Colby Rasmus trying to break Pedroia’s leg.

That’s baseball logic for ya.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester