Jun 27, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Check out this screen capture from the YES Network’s broadcast of last night’s Indians-Yankees game:
See the big fella holding his hand up? He’s got the ball that Indians third baseman Jack Hannahan fouled into the stands in the seventh inning. It came to him after bouncing out of left fielder DeWayne Wise‘s glove and rolled down the front row. Wise is about ten feet to the right there. You can see all of that play out in the video here. Third base umpire Mike DiMuro, however, missed it:
He’s out, DiMuro said, despite the fact that Wise didn’t have the ball and despite the fact that DiMuro was right on top of the play. He never asked to see the ball. He just assumed Wise had it. Heck, Wise didn’t even really try to deke the ump or anything and looked just as surprised as anyone when the out was called, and said as much after the game.
Replay now. Or, short of that, umpires actually making sure the outfielder has the ball before calling an out.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69