Jun 27, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Check out this screen capture from the YES Network’s broadcast of last night’s Indians-Yankees game:
See the big fella holding his hand up? He’s got the ball that Indians third baseman Jack Hannahan fouled into the stands in the seventh inning. It came to him after bouncing out of left fielder DeWayne Wise‘s glove and rolled down the front row. Wise is about ten feet to the right there. You can see all of that play out in the video here. Third base umpire Mike DiMuro, however, missed it:
He’s out, DiMuro said, despite the fact that Wise didn’t have the ball and despite the fact that DiMuro was right on top of the play. He never asked to see the ball. He just assumed Wise had it. Heck, Wise didn’t even really try to deke the ump or anything and looked just as surprised as anyone when the out was called, and said as much after the game.
Replay now. Or, short of that, umpires actually making sure the outfielder has the ball before calling an out.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)