If you parked your Jeep behind the Green Monster, Jose Bautista just dented it

Jun 27, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

Jose Bautista

Jose Bautista hit his major league-leading 25th homer this afternoon. It was a blast off Jon Lester that easily cleared the Green Monster.  Oh, and it hit and dented a Jeep parked in a lot across the street from the park. Video here.

At least I think that’s a Jeep based on the flared fender. It’s possible that it’s a Mercedes? I don’t know. I never leave the house anymore so as far as I know it’s some DeSoto or American Motors product.

Anyway, Bautista — who started so slowly this year — has an .894 OPS and is on pace for a 54 homer, 125 RBI season. So, you know, ho-hum.

1. kjkulsrud - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Yep, that is a jeep..

• cur68 - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Actually, I think its a G-Class Mercedes SUV. One of these:

If he’d dented a Jeep, the repair costs would be in the trivial hundreds. That thing? Sell one of your kids.

2. butchhuskey - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I was worried about Joey Bats after he only hit 11 home runs following the All Star break past year. Turns out no one should ever doubt his ability to hit mammoth homers

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Joey Bats plays 1st Base for the Redlegs.

3. bjbeliever - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Ya Joey Bats isn’t exactly the reason for our troubles this season…need some arms like yesterday

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Do one of the teams pay for the damages?

• chill1184 - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I’m actually curious of this myself. How would the insurance company call this

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I believe regardless of where the ball came from it would be the parking lots responsibility, and they usually put fine print on parking tickets making it the person who owns the car’s fault.

I assume its not like a golf course where if you hit a house you have to pay for it… although maybe Bautista could send a few bucks the guys way.

• dondada10 - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I’d imagine the car-owner is gonna have to pay the bill. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if either Joey Bats or the Jays pulled a P.R. move and threw the guy some cash.

• bigharold - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM

“… although maybe Bautista could send a few bucks the guys way.”

I would think that the guy will go around bragging that Bautista dented his Jeep. I’m not even a Jays fan and I would. I’ll bet he he could somehow get it “certified” he’d drive it to Toronto and try to make a killing off it.

And, I think your right it’s the owners loss unless he wants to put it throught his own insurance.

Maybe he can get Bautista to sign the dash?

• bigleagues - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Completely 100% on the car owner. Although, you’d think there is one hell of a business opportunity selling “ball damage” insurance at the parking garage gate as a $1 add on to the parking fee.

Now that I’ve said it . . . it will be a reality very soon. Just watch.

I used to park in that garage – long before it became $50 or $60 per game – and 90 minutes to exit after a game.

• offseasonblues - Jun 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Why would you want to fix it? Seems to me an over the Monster home run dent would add value. And the car’s famous now.

5. southpaw2k - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I hope the Jeep’s owner gets to keep the home run ball as a souvenir.

6. proudlycanadian - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Matthew has been claiming that the Jays have been picking on Pedrioa, so it was probably Pedroia’s car.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM

That’s way too big for Pedroia. Here’s one more his size:

• proudlycanadian - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Touche!

• papalurchdxb - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:10 AM

it’s for posts like this we really should be able to click ‘thumbs up’ as many times as we damn well choose. A spontaneous chuckle has made my morning!

7. jlovenotjlo - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I’m guessing that its a Range Rover. If you drive a Range Rover in Boston, in this case, I don’t feel sorry for you.

8. beefytrout - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

He creamed the absolute snot out of that ball.

9. dickclydesdale - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Fenway Park is a little league matchbox ballpark so that ball would have just been a flyball in any other park except for Yankee Stadium which is also a joke.

• wendell7 - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 AM

You must not have actually watched the replay of the home run before making your ignorant comment because it was a bomb in ANY park, including Yellowstone and Yosemite

10. ahmiller21 - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Completely on the car owner. Most of those garages have posted signs saying so. I was at at Sox/Yanks game last year and watched Cano hit the same car twice during BP, one dented the hood, the other shattered his sunroof. Sucked to be him that day.

11. willsolo - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM

It’s on the roof and no one will see it anyway. It’s one of those out of sight, out of mind type things. I also thought that was the players parking lot?

• wendell7 - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought it was the player’s parking lot too

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5100)