Jun 27, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Ike Davis had a legit beef last night.
His swipe tag missed baserunner Steve Clevenger on a pickoff play last night, but Clevenger missed the bag and Davis got him on the second attempt. First base umpire Manny Gonzalez missed that, though, and called Clevenger safe. An argument ensued, and during the argument Davis’ glove did not miss Gonazlez, bumping up against him.
While this pic makes it look a bit shovey, the contact in action appeared incidental, but Adam Rubin spoke to an MLB exec who was watching the game who thinks Davis may see a modest fine out of it all.
Assuming this all goes the way MLB says it goes, Gonzalez, a fill-in ump from the minors, will have the bad call noted in his record.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)