Jun 27, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Ike Davis had a legit beef last night.
His swipe tag missed baserunner Steve Clevenger on a pickoff play last night, but Clevenger missed the bag and Davis got him on the second attempt. First base umpire Manny Gonzalez missed that, though, and called Clevenger safe. An argument ensued, and during the argument Davis’ glove did not miss Gonazlez, bumping up against him.
While this pic makes it look a bit shovey, the contact in action appeared incidental, but Adam Rubin spoke to an MLB exec who was watching the game who thinks Davis may see a modest fine out of it all.
Assuming this all goes the way MLB says it goes, Gonzalez, a fill-in ump from the minors, will have the bad call noted in his record.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 17
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)