Jun 27, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
First, some nice accountability from the umps, as crew chief Jerry Layne said that it’s everyone’s responsibility to get the lineup card right in such situations. Nice accountability from Matheny too, who says that going forward that he will be crystal clear in his changes. After all, even though I don’t think he was in the wrong, he could probably have made it totally clear that he meant the five-position in he field being substituted, and not the five-spot in the order.
More interesting is this passage:
During its postgame show Fox Sports Midwest played audio of Davidson telling Guillen that he “(messed) it up.” The Cardinals sent an email to St. Louis-area radio stations Tuesday morning asking that they “refrain” playing that audio clip. A source provided the Post-Dispatch with the email. Sent by a club official, the note said the commissioner’s office required field conversations be cleared by Major League Baseball before airing.
Replaying audio of an umpire dropping an F-bomb apparently counts as a “rebroadcast, retransmission, or account” of a game. Who knew? I would think that such a thing is independently newsworthy as opposed to being someone trying to use MLB-sanctioned audio for unauthorized purposes or something, but I suppose we’ll let the copyright lawyers chime in on that one. My gut feeling, though, is that this is just another instance of a copyright holder claiming more rights than they actually hold.
I question whether any sports radio station would comply with that, though. Maybe if the audio had a longer shelf life than the Davidson stuff it’d be tested, but I guess now it’s run its course.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (190)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)