Jun 27, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
First, some nice accountability from the umps, as crew chief Jerry Layne said that it’s everyone’s responsibility to get the lineup card right in such situations. Nice accountability from Matheny too, who says that going forward that he will be crystal clear in his changes. After all, even though I don’t think he was in the wrong, he could probably have made it totally clear that he meant the five-position in he field being substituted, and not the five-spot in the order.
More interesting is this passage:
During its postgame show Fox Sports Midwest played audio of Davidson telling Guillen that he “(messed) it up.” The Cardinals sent an email to St. Louis-area radio stations Tuesday morning asking that they “refrain” playing that audio clip. A source provided the Post-Dispatch with the email. Sent by a club official, the note said the commissioner’s office required field conversations be cleared by Major League Baseball before airing.
Replaying audio of an umpire dropping an F-bomb apparently counts as a “rebroadcast, retransmission, or account” of a game. Who knew? I would think that such a thing is independently newsworthy as opposed to being someone trying to use MLB-sanctioned audio for unauthorized purposes or something, but I suppose we’ll let the copyright lawyers chime in on that one. My gut feeling, though, is that this is just another instance of a copyright holder claiming more rights than they actually hold.
I question whether any sports radio station would comply with that, though. Maybe if the audio had a longer shelf life than the Davidson stuff it’d be tested, but I guess now it’s run its course.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)