Jun 27, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
First, some nice accountability from the umps, as crew chief Jerry Layne said that it’s everyone’s responsibility to get the lineup card right in such situations. Nice accountability from Matheny too, who says that going forward that he will be crystal clear in his changes. After all, even though I don’t think he was in the wrong, he could probably have made it totally clear that he meant the five-position in he field being substituted, and not the five-spot in the order.
More interesting is this passage:
During its postgame show Fox Sports Midwest played audio of Davidson telling Guillen that he “(messed) it up.” The Cardinals sent an email to St. Louis-area radio stations Tuesday morning asking that they “refrain” playing that audio clip. A source provided the Post-Dispatch with the email. Sent by a club official, the note said the commissioner’s office required field conversations be cleared by Major League Baseball before airing.
Replaying audio of an umpire dropping an F-bomb apparently counts as a “rebroadcast, retransmission, or account” of a game. Who knew? I would think that such a thing is independently newsworthy as opposed to being someone trying to use MLB-sanctioned audio for unauthorized purposes or something, but I suppose we’ll let the copyright lawyers chime in on that one. My gut feeling, though, is that this is just another instance of a copyright holder claiming more rights than they actually hold.
I question whether any sports radio station would comply with that, though. Maybe if the audio had a longer shelf life than the Davidson stuff it’d be tested, but I guess now it’s run its course.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)