Jun 27, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The game started off quietly enough, with the Mets and Cubs tied at 1 after three innings. It didn’t stay that way, though: the Mets exploded for 15 runs between the fourth and sixth innings in routing the Cubs 17-1 on Wednesday.
David Wright, Ike Davis, Scott Hairston and Daniel Murphy combined to drive in all of the runs for the Mets, with Wright knocking in five and the other three plating four apiece. The Mets were the first team since the 2007 Rangers and just the fourth since 1918 to have four players each with four RBI in a game.
Those 2007 Rangers did it in the memorable 30-3 win over the Orioles in the first game of a doubleheader on Aug. 22. Marlon Byrd, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Ramon Vazquez and Travis Metcalf all had four RBI in that one, with Salty and Vazquez knocking in seven runs apiece. Metcalf did it one swing, delivering a grand slam in his lone at-bat off the bench.
The Mets also got a grand slam today, that from Hairston. Murphy got three of his four RBI on his first two homers of the season. Davis homered and doubled twice to raise his average above .200 for the first time all year. Wright knocked in five runs with a sac fly, a double and a single and then got the final three innings off, costing him two at-bats.
The other teams with four four-RBI players: the 1953 Braves (Johnny Logan, Eddie Mathews, Jim Pendleton and Jack Dittmer in a 19-4 win over the Pirates) and the 1979 Phillies (Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Garry Maddox and Bob Boone in a 23-22 win over the Cubs).
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)