Jun 27, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
We’ve heard people piling on Marlon Byrd for his positive PED test as if he owed them something and, frankly, it’s pretty unseemly. Contrast this with an excellent column from Doug Glanville today which outlines true disappointment.
In it Glanville explains how veterans mentor young players and how young players grow up and do the same to the next group of kids. Glanville was Byrd’s mentor when the latter came and eventually took over his job with the Phillies, and he describes how that all works and the sort of relationship that is formed if everyone has their head on straight.
Byrd, by almost all accounts, had his head on straight his whole career, which is why Glanville is saddened to hear the news about the PED test. It’s not a judgmental thing like you get from the sanctimonious jerks in the media. It’s the sort of valid and honest disappointment one can only have for someone about whom they care deeply as Glanville clearly does for Byrd. And based on the tone, it’s a disappointment, one suspects, that will one day go away because good people eventually make amends when necessary.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 54
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 31
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)