Jun 27, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
Actually, this was more the providence of alter ego “Tony Plush.”
Nyjer Morgan attempted to reach into the stands down the right-field line to grab a flyball in Wednesday’s game, got tangled up with a Reds fan and then sort of shoved him off with his glove afterwards.
If it ended with the glove shove, it probably would have been nothing. Morgan jawed with the fan for a few seconds afterwards, though, before umpire Marty Foster helped direct him back to his position.
“It’s just one of those things where we were tangled up; I could have made a play on the ball,” Morgan said. “I just gave him a little, ‘Get off me,’ because he was all on my arm and everything. Nothing major, but everybody might blow it up a little differently.”
Morgan said afterwards that he didn’t have a problem with the fan’s actions in trying to get the ball for himself.
“That’s what the home fans are supposed to do, try to take the ball from the opposing team when the ball is in the stands,” Morgan said. “It’s fair game once the ball is in the stands.”
So, why the shove then?
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)