Jun 27, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
Actually, this was more the providence of alter ego “Tony Plush.”
Nyjer Morgan attempted to reach into the stands down the right-field line to grab a flyball in Wednesday’s game, got tangled up with a Reds fan and then sort of shoved him off with his glove afterwards.
If it ended with the glove shove, it probably would have been nothing. Morgan jawed with the fan for a few seconds afterwards, though, before umpire Marty Foster helped direct him back to his position.
“It’s just one of those things where we were tangled up; I could have made a play on the ball,” Morgan said. “I just gave him a little, ‘Get off me,’ because he was all on my arm and everything. Nothing major, but everybody might blow it up a little differently.”
Morgan said afterwards that he didn’t have a problem with the fan’s actions in trying to get the ball for himself.
“That’s what the home fans are supposed to do, try to take the ball from the opposing team when the ball is in the stands,” Morgan said. “It’s fair game once the ball is in the stands.”
So, why the shove then?
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 6
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)