Jun 27, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
Actually, this was more the providence of alter ego “Tony Plush.”
Nyjer Morgan attempted to reach into the stands down the right-field line to grab a flyball in Wednesday’s game, got tangled up with a Reds fan and then sort of shoved him off with his glove afterwards.
If it ended with the glove shove, it probably would have been nothing. Morgan jawed with the fan for a few seconds afterwards, though, before umpire Marty Foster helped direct him back to his position.
“It’s just one of those things where we were tangled up; I could have made a play on the ball,” Morgan said. “I just gave him a little, ‘Get off me,’ because he was all on my arm and everything. Nothing major, but everybody might blow it up a little differently.”
Morgan said afterwards that he didn’t have a problem with the fan’s actions in trying to get the ball for himself.
“That’s what the home fans are supposed to do, try to take the ball from the opposing team when the ball is in the stands,” Morgan said. “It’s fair game once the ball is in the stands.”
So, why the shove then?
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17