Jun 27, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Well, certainly Freddy Garcia gets starts until the big man is back. That’s a given. For now the solution for the other vacancy in the rotation is to call up Adam Warren, who has a 3.86 ERA and a meh-like, 59/27 K/BB ratio in 86 and a third innings at Scranton. If one or both of those guys do well — and assuming Sabathia’s injury is not serious, the Yankees probably don’t change their plans for the trade deadline.
But if one or both falter, the Yankees would certainly be on the hunt for a starting pitcher. Heck, they may have been anyway, but the search will be more pressing then. In that case you have to figure that the Cubs will be dangling Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster at them. Other starters on the market Wandy Rodriguez. Likely Zack Greinke if he can’t reach a deal with Milwaukee. A sexy longshot possibility: Cole Hamels, but I wouldn’t count on that even if it’s fun to.
But really, I’m struggling to think of the last time the Yankees made a big splash at the break, even when they’ve had injury needs. They’ve won five in a row. Phil Hughes just had a really good start. Garcia’s overall numbers are not stellar, but he’s pitched much better recently than he did earlier in the season.
As a team, they look pretty strong even with the injuries. I don’t think they’ll make some panic move, nor do I think they should.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (83)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (73)