Jun 27, 2012, 4:52 PM EST
Well, certainly Freddy Garcia gets starts until the big man is back. That’s a given. For now the solution for the other vacancy in the rotation is to call up Adam Warren, who has a 3.86 ERA and a meh-like, 59/27 K/BB ratio in 86 and a third innings at Scranton. If one or both of those guys do well — and assuming Sabathia’s injury is not serious, the Yankees probably don’t change their plans for the trade deadline.
But if one or both falter, the Yankees would certainly be on the hunt for a starting pitcher. Heck, they may have been anyway, but the search will be more pressing then. In that case you have to figure that the Cubs will be dangling Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster at them. Other starters on the market Wandy Rodriguez. Likely Zack Greinke if he can’t reach a deal with Milwaukee. A sexy longshot possibility: Cole Hamels, but I wouldn’t count on that even if it’s fun to.
But really, I’m struggling to think of the last time the Yankees made a big splash at the break, even when they’ve had injury needs. They’ve won five in a row. Phil Hughes just had a really good start. Garcia’s overall numbers are not stellar, but he’s pitched much better recently than he did earlier in the season.
As a team, they look pretty strong even with the injuries. I don’t think they’ll make some panic move, nor do I think they should.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)