Jun 27, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Well, certainly Freddy Garcia gets starts until the big man is back. That’s a given. For now the solution for the other vacancy in the rotation is to call up Adam Warren, who has a 3.86 ERA and a meh-like, 59/27 K/BB ratio in 86 and a third innings at Scranton. If one or both of those guys do well — and assuming Sabathia’s injury is not serious, the Yankees probably don’t change their plans for the trade deadline.
But if one or both falter, the Yankees would certainly be on the hunt for a starting pitcher. Heck, they may have been anyway, but the search will be more pressing then. In that case you have to figure that the Cubs will be dangling Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster at them. Other starters on the market Wandy Rodriguez. Likely Zack Greinke if he can’t reach a deal with Milwaukee. A sexy longshot possibility: Cole Hamels, but I wouldn’t count on that even if it’s fun to.
But really, I’m struggling to think of the last time the Yankees made a big splash at the break, even when they’ve had injury needs. They’ve won five in a row. Phil Hughes just had a really good start. Garcia’s overall numbers are not stellar, but he’s pitched much better recently than he did earlier in the season.
As a team, they look pretty strong even with the injuries. I don’t think they’ll make some panic move, nor do I think they should.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)