The Daron Sutton thing is getting weirder

Jun 27, 2012, 1:22 PM EST

daron sutton and mark grace

Yesterday Aaron mentioned how Daron Sutton has been absent from Diamondbacks broadcasts due to a “personal matter” but that no one is saying anything more.  Today, per Jerry Crasnick, the plot thickens:

A person familiar with the situation said Sutton recently had been involved in a dispute with the Diamondbacks over the team’s new on-air dress code. But another source said Sutton’s suspension was the culmination of a series of events rather than a single incident.

Crasnick added in a tweet that, while it’s just a hunch, the Sutton thing “is not going to end well.”  So, yikes.

1. pjmitch - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM

So the guy may get the boot because he doesn’t like what the team wants him to wear? I’ll wear a clown suit if they want for a gig like that!

• CJ - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

let the man wear his boxer shorts to work if he wants to. they only take camera shots from the waist up anyway.

2. muskyhunter2542 - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I really liked him when he was in Milwaukee. But B.A. is better

• ufullpj - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM

BA is damn good – and for that matter, so is Rock. Where I live, I get blacked out a lot, so I get the other feeds – Astros, Cards, etc. – and that broadcasting team is as good as any that’s around.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Sutton sucked and that’s why the Brewers wouldn’t overpay for his services.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM

A Dodger’s jersey?

4. monkeyjuice313 - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM

F*** pants!

5. govtminion - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

“I don’t give a crap if it’s ‘Rocky Horror’ night after the broadcast, you aren’t wearing that on the air, Daron!”

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM

HAHAHAHAHA

6. bigleagues - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I’ve been waiting for just such a moment to address this topic . . .

The DUMBEST thing in broadcast sports today is the ubiquitous policy of having on-air personalities dressed in suits and ties.

This is sports people. Suit and tie? Really?

A nice sport shirt, or workout suit would make a lot more thematic and visual sense. Not to mention the sponsorship opportunities it would create.

If Darren Sutton is protesting a dress code of any sort – especially if its anti-suit – I’m fully supporting him on that.

I’ll reserve further support for when more sources leak details.

• butchhuskey - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Some broadcast teams (like the Phillies’) wear polo shirts with the network logo on them- in my opinion, this look is classy and a better option than overdressing with a full suit and tie. Plus, the announcers are rarely actually in front of the camera- their voices are more important than physical appearance

• bigleagues - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Right on.

I mean seriously, you’re in an office all day wearing a suit and tie, with co-workers dressed similarly and all you wanna do when you get home is watch your favorite team – the last thing I wanna see is another freakin suit.

I just don’t get it. But that’s the (lack of) wisdom of network execs.

• vallewho - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM

So do the folks in the YES Network, but only when it’s pretty hot/humid. Polos should be the standard.

7. sabatimus - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Maybe Sutton tripped a 12-year-old after a hockey game or something.

8. bbk1000 - Jun 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

haha, no real news again…the National Enquirer awaits…

1. M. Upton (2376)