The Royals DFA Humberto Quintero

Jun 27, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

Brett Lawrie, Humberto Quintero Getty Images

I’ll give Humberto Quintero this much: his name is really satisfying. Just say it a few times, making sure to start it with a bit of an “um” sound instead of going hard on the H. Tell me that doesn’t make you feel good. Humberto Quintero. Really, it’s one of the best names to simply say this side of Inigo Montoya.

Dude can’t hit at all anymore, however, and now that the Royals have Salvador Perez back from knee surgery, Quintero’s .232/.257/.341 services are no longer required. He’s been designated for assignment. Bryan Pena will be Perez’s backup going forward, and he’s the better choice.

Don’t cry for Quintero, though. My guess is that he’ll latch on someplace because catchers who, rightly or wrongly, are given the “good receiver” tag and have a history of being just fine with being a backup always seem to.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Bob Brenly always loved saying his name when he was on the Astros.

“OOMbertOH kinTERRO!”

2. stex52 - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Sorry for Q. He hung on for a long time as the Astros’ back up, just because no one better ever took the job. He is a good fielder with a rifle arm, and the pitchers always seemed to be comfortable with his game calling. If he ever could have hit .240 steadily I think he would have gotten a starting job. Wicked pick off throw to first.

I hope he catches on with someone for a while longer.

• mattyflex - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM

The worst part of this is that the Royals gave up a promising pitching prospect to get him and Jason Bourgeois just because of Salvador Perez’s injury; now they’re without a pitcher, without the catcher they so desperately needed, and they have a guy that played two games in the outfield that I literally watched struggle to throw a ball to second base from the warning track. It bounced three times and I believe it may have been his best effort. Stupid, stupid Dayton Moore.

3. jimatkins - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Always liked Hipolito Pichardo- now that sounds good coming out of a PA speaker. He was a Royal too.

• RickyB - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM

First thing I thought of when I saw this article. Gary Miller said it best on Baseball Tonight back in the day.

4. Tim's Neighbor - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM

My current favorite baseball name is Roughned Odor. I’m not even sure how to say it, but I like it.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Hahaha, what?

Erubiel Durazo was also a goodie.

5. sophiethegreatdane - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Enrico Polazzo! Enrico Polazzo! Enrico Polazzo! Enrico Polazzo!

6. sdsockers - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Living close enough to San Diego Stadium (before it was Jack Murphy, and way before it became Qualcomm) you could hear the P.A. announcer call out “numberelevenenzo…..herNANdez….” Sadly, that’s all you heard, as the crowds were tiny and the Padres were terrible. Much like the current Padres.

7. foreverchipper10 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Now he has more time to look for the six-fingered man.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3125)