Jun 27, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
I’ll give Humberto Quintero this much: his name is really satisfying. Just say it a few times, making sure to start it with a bit of an “um” sound instead of going hard on the H. Tell me that doesn’t make you feel good. Humberto Quintero. Really, it’s one of the best names to simply say this side of Inigo Montoya.
Dude can’t hit at all anymore, however, and now that the Royals have Salvador Perez back from knee surgery, Quintero’s .232/.257/.341 services are no longer required. He’s been designated for assignment. Bryan Pena will be Perez’s backup going forward, and he’s the better choice.
Don’t cry for Quintero, though. My guess is that he’ll latch on someplace because catchers who, rightly or wrongly, are given the “good receiver” tag and have a history of being just fine with being a backup always seem to.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 2
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)