Jun 27, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
I’ll give Humberto Quintero this much: his name is really satisfying. Just say it a few times, making sure to start it with a bit of an “um” sound instead of going hard on the H. Tell me that doesn’t make you feel good. Humberto Quintero. Really, it’s one of the best names to simply say this side of Inigo Montoya.
Dude can’t hit at all anymore, however, and now that the Royals have Salvador Perez back from knee surgery, Quintero’s .232/.257/.341 services are no longer required. He’s been designated for assignment. Bryan Pena will be Perez’s backup going forward, and he’s the better choice.
Don’t cry for Quintero, though. My guess is that he’ll latch on someplace because catchers who, rightly or wrongly, are given the “good receiver” tag and have a history of being just fine with being a backup always seem to.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17