Jun 27, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
I’ll give Humberto Quintero this much: his name is really satisfying. Just say it a few times, making sure to start it with a bit of an “um” sound instead of going hard on the H. Tell me that doesn’t make you feel good. Humberto Quintero. Really, it’s one of the best names to simply say this side of Inigo Montoya.
Dude can’t hit at all anymore, however, and now that the Royals have Salvador Perez back from knee surgery, Quintero’s .232/.257/.341 services are no longer required. He’s been designated for assignment. Bryan Pena will be Perez’s backup going forward, and he’s the better choice.
Don’t cry for Quintero, though. My guess is that he’ll latch on someplace because catchers who, rightly or wrongly, are given the “good receiver” tag and have a history of being just fine with being a backup always seem to.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)