Twins minor leaguer Paul Bargas dies of cancer

Jun 27, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

paul bargas twins

This is truly awful: Twins minor league pitcher Paul Bargas has died of brain cancer. He was only 23.

Bargas was a 13th-round pick of the Rockies in 2009 and pitched at low Single-A in 2010. The Twins traded for him after that. He had to leave spring training in 2011 with what was first termed a “neurological condition,” but later diagnosed as cancer. He tried a comeback this past winter, but he never pitched in a game again.

The Twins released a statement earlier today:

“Paul had been battling a rare form of cancer for over a year and on Tuesday night he lost his battle. Paul was an incredible young man who displayed a phenomenal ability to stay positive through all of this and we at the Twins feel honored to have known him.”

Chip Scoggins of the Star-Tribune wrote a column about Bargas last winter.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Far, far too young. Rest in peace, Paul.

2. stex52 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM

As I get older, I think there is nothing sadder to me than the loss of a young man or woman poised on the verge of adult life. Condolences to family and friends.

3. btwicey - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM

So so sad.

4. broncobrewer - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Wow just wow. I feel really bad for his family

5. skids003 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Thanks for the post, Craig. So sad, condolences to family and friends.

6. sabatimus - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Oh GOD :(

7. butchhuskey - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Excuse the profanity, but f**k cancer. That is all.

• southpaw2k - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM

If there’s ever cause to warrant profanity on here, it’s for a post like yours. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

May the Heavenly Father give peace and comfort to the Bargas family.

8. Brian Murphy - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I can relate as I lost my mother to brain cancer a few weeks ago. She was only 55 years old.

But for a 23-year-old athlete to be taken off this earth due to the same disease? I don’t know what else to do other than send my deepest sympathies and shake my head.

9. cosanostra71 - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

RIP Paul and condolences to your family and teammates

10. Diana - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Tragic. One has no words for this kind of robbery. Let us hope his family can find solace and peace in that he suffers no more.

11. stlouis1baseball - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Rest in Peace Paul. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic