Jun 27, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
Up 12-2 against the Twins in the eighth inning today, the White Sox went to Will Ohman to finish the game off. Six outs and three runs later, he was sent packing by the club.
CSNChicago.com’s Dan Hayes reports that Ohman was designated for assignment immediately after Wednesday’s game.
Ohman ended the day with a 6.41 ERA after giving up the three runs, including Darin Mastroianni‘s first major league homer. However, that comes with a fine 1.05 WHIP. He’d allowed just 23 hits and five walks in 26 2/3 innings. Unfortunately, six of those hits were homers.
Still, the main problem is that rookie manager Robin Ventura just couldn’t seem to get the most out of him. Going into today, Ohman had limited left-handed hitters to a .182/.250/.283 line in 55 at-bats. Right-handers were tearing him up, but right-handers are supposed to tear him up.
Because of his fine numbers against lefties, Ohman figures to be snatched up quickly. The Cardinals could well be interested since J.C. Romero didn’t work out for them.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)