Daron Sutton was suspended because he wants to wear a suit and tie on the air

Jun 28, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT

daron sutton and mark grace

Nick Piecoro has an update to the suspension of Diamondbacks announcer Daron Sutton. We heard yesterday from Jerry Crasnick of ESPN that the dispute was possibly about the dress code, and that Sutton was suspended due to “insubordination,” though it wasn’t very specific. Now Nick has this:

A source confirmed that dispute to The Republic, saying that while the club prefers its broadcast team to wear polo shirts adorned with the Diamondbacks logo, Sutton has lobbied to wear suits.

That’s backwards from what a lot of people assumed when this was reported yesterday.  And no, I have no idea when the pic attached to this post was taken. I assume it was on the same day this was created.

In other news, what would you do to a co-worker who totally tried to kill casual days? Man, buzzkill, Daron. Buzzkill.

1. theawesomersfranchise - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Only in baseball, where managers wear uniforms and have #’s and the radio people are suspended for wanting to look professional.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I’m not against him wearing a suit but there’s nothing unprofessional about polo shirts. Maybe getting himself suspended will change the teams mind down the road but he is the employee and the employer is who decides on the dress code.

• chumthumper - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Why don’t they make baseball managers wear suits like other sports? Either that or make their counterparts in hockey, basketball and football wear uniforms. I’m just sayin’.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

If Hockey, Basketball or Football coaches and managers wore team jerseys they would look utterly ridiculous, it’s like a clown, you see the clown, yes he looks ridiculous, but you are used to it, that’s what a clown looks like.
        We are used to Baseball managers looking like clowns and accept it

2. cur68 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I thought it was a perk of your job to go around trouserless, Craig. He’s lobbying to put some ON with a jacket and tie. . . (*says the guy lurking a dark basement on a nice day hunched over a laptop wearing sweats*). He must be stopped at all costs!

3. butchhuskey - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM

If anyone saw my comment on yesterday’s post, they’ll know I was on to something with the whole “polo shirts vs. suits” angle. However, I assumed Sutton would want to wear the polos over the shirts. I have to disagree with his position – I feel suits are way too formal for a sports broadcast.

• butchhuskey - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM

edit: over the suits

4. manute - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM

He’s the Rosa Parks of overdressing. Fight the power, Darin!

(By “the power,” I mean those people who would like to wear a comfortable cotton knit top.)

5. brewcrewfan54 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Both Sutton and the Dbacks are silly for taking the sides they’ve taken. Dress code is dress code though Darren, many of us have them at work so fall in line or start looking elsewhere for employment.

6. ajcardsfan - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM

My only thought for Daron’s logic is that it must be freezing in his booth and the suits for extra warmth

7. foreverlsu - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Gotta agree with Sutton. D’backs look bad in this case. Suit and tie looks much more professional.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Professional or not the employer decides the dress code not the employee.

8. kopy - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

A suit seems pretty formal. Then again, I’m a Twins fan, so I’m used to my announcer wearing this: http://static.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/bert-blyleven.jpg

• Bryz - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Don’t forget him eating this. (That’s a nightcrawler, by the way.) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nEiGkmbueAk/SgZPB98t_zI/AAAAAAAAGmI/Do56o0BKIuE/s400/bertworms.bmp

9. steveohho - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Gotta fight the Man on this one. If they start wearing polo shirts, what is next, flip flops and cargo shorts?

10. dwrek5 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM

My buddy is an assistant HS basketball coach. Asked him why he doesn’t wear a suite. “Don’t out dress the head coach”. Noted buddy!

11. Gobias Industries - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM

That’s it?! Dude wanted to wear a suit and tie?! Where are the hookers?! Where’s the DWI?! Where are the bath salts and shocking violence?!

Well, I haven’t been this let down since the final episode of Seinfeld.

12. bigleagues - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I was one of those people who assumed he didn’t want to wear a shirt, jacket and tie. I have liked listening to Sutton in the booth and I agree he and Grace are one of the better duos in the game . . . but I’m really shocked.

I said I’d reserve comment and further support of Sutton’s suspension until I learned more. And well, I’ve learned all I need to. At least it wasn’t inappropriate touching of an intern (and please don’t let that be the next revelation that gets leaked – or at least any truth to it if it is). But I’m a little stunned, and down on Sutton.

On the bright side . . . Fox loves its broadcasters to wear suits. So at least there’s that goin on for him.

In other news, I think I’m a buregeoning D-Backs fan.

• bigleagues - Jun 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Thirteen people still support Sutton and thin wearing a suit during a sports broadcast is, well, suitable? Really?!

Weird.

13. xmatt0926x - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM

As someone else said, it’s the employer, not the employee who decides what the dress code is. I have to believe it’s about more than this though. Yeah some people have rebellious personalities but I just don’t see a baseball announcer standing his ground at the cost of his job for such a trivial issue as this. If he is willing to cause a headache over something like this than he likely is the type to have a problem with other rules as well. Some people just can’t conform no matter how easy the rules are. We all probably know someone like that. I have no issue with people who are willing to give up something important to stay true to themselves but in this case it just seems silly to put such a coveted position at risk just to be a hardass.

14. brewcrewfan54 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Some of you need to keep in mind by Sutton wanting to wear suits when the DBacks only require polos Sutton will make Grace look like a dressed down scrub by wearing a suit next to him. It may also in turn make Grace turn to a more formal appearance which maybe he would prefer not to do. And if I was Grace that would piss me off a little bit.

15. gloccamorra - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Dick Enberg chose to wear suits on Padres telecasts, and shamed his color man, former pitcher Mark Grant, into wearing suits too, so not every team has a strict, you-will-wear-this dress code. It sounds like a logo problem. Jim McKay used to wear suits with the ABC Wide World of Sports shield on it, and looked spiffy enough. Maybe Sutton could have gotten a stick-on Diamondbacks logo for his suit and satisfied everybody.

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

That’s basically what the NFL did when Mike Nolan wanted to honor his father by wearing a suit on the sideline. NFL has an apparel contract requiring coaches to wear team-logo Reebok (I think) apparel. After a while, they compromised by letting him wear a suit with the 49ers logo on it.

16. jkaflagg - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM

With apologies to Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler: REALLY ????????

17. mianfr - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM

If it helps you do your job, doesn’t hurt anyone, doesn’t hurt the integrity of the organization, and if anything is a more strict adherence to the rules, you should probably let that person do it.

18. mornelithe - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Nobody’s championing the cause of ending casual day, however, participating in casual day should not be a requirement for employment. That just sounds stupid. If you want to dress professionally at all times, it’s your damn right to do so.

• mornelithe - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM

And for the record, some might consider wearing a team logo on your shirt…to not really be all that professional. But, I’d agree for the most part, polo shirts aren’t unprofessional.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Sutton has 1 of only 32 MLB TV play by play jobs in the world. He’s a very lucky man. I think maybe in this situation he may have forgotten that.

19. kevinbnyc - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM

The whole idea of a well-defined dress code is ridiculous. The guy isn’t trying to wear sweatpants and a stained wifebeater to work. Let him wear what he wants as long as he doesn’t look like a jackass.

20. mvp43 - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Daron- pick and choose your battles……….

21. jimatkins - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

You’d think, doing a Cardinals day game in July or August, you really wouldn’t want to wear a suit. I see Victor Rojas and Mark Gubitza (it’s Angel country around here) in suits and ties most of the time, but they wear team polos pretty often too. Seems like a pretty petty thing to get all psycho over. I don’t think I’d want to jeopardize a dream job over polo shirts.

22. Sign Ahead - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM

It doesn’t sound like anyone has exactly covered themselves in glory.

Like mvp43 said above, this is an odd place for Sutton to make a stand. I wonder if there is more to the story. For the the last few years, I’ve gotten the impression that the Diamondbacks’ front office has some acrimonious workplace issues simmering just below the surface. If Sutton came into this thinking there was room for discussion and was slapped down by management, I can see him hardening his position. He’s a competent play-by-play announcer who already has more than one contract. If he’s unhappy where he is, he can probably find another job.

23. hojo20 - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Nothing wrong with wanting to look professional.

24. willsolo - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

The greatest commentator in the world, Vin Scully wears suits. But I doubt anyone would tell him otherwise. In this case, I see the arguments on both sides and have decided I could give a crap about either side.

25. cambodianbreastmilk - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

If the guy wants to wear a suit & tie, let him wear it. I like to hear their voice while watching a game, not look at them. Now, if he showed up wearing a Lady Gaga “meat-suit, then I could understand the cause for concern and his suspension.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3933)