Giancarlo Stanton will be in the Home Run Derby

Jun 28, 2012, 9:56 AM EDT

Giancarlo Stanton Getty Getty Images

I don’t really care that much about the competition aspects of the Home Run Derby. I do, however, like to see mammoth blasts for their own sake, either in sheer distance or in quantity. After all, what’s the most memorable Home Run Derby thing ever? Josh Hamilton putting on the laser show at Yankee Stadium, right?  Well, he didn’t even win the competition that year, so who cares?

Which means that fame of the player or even home run count at the break doesn’t mean much to me as far as that competition goes. Just give me big strong dudes, even if they’re merely Wily Mo Pena-style BP-only guys.

Giancarlo Stanton is certainly better than that — he’s sporting an .886 OPS right now — but given what he’s done in BP and on random home runs over the past couple of years, he should be in the Derby whether he’s an All-Star or not. Which makes this, from Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, welcome news:

Giancarlo Stanton landed a ball in the center-field, upper-deck seats at Marlins Park during batting practice Wednesday, leaving his disbelieving teammates shaking their heads. The Marlins’ 22-year-old slugger will be putting his power on display for an entire country to see on July 9 when he takes part in the Home Run Derby in Kansas City.

Stanton confirmed that he was chosen to participate.

“We’re in there,” he said as he trotted off the field following batting practice.

I predict many fountain shots at Kauffman Stadium.

1. cerowb - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Baseballs everywhere just got a little nervous…

• ptfu - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Everything remotely breakable in Kauffman home run territory just got a little nervous…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Everything remotely breakable in Kansas City just got a little nervous…

2. Ben - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Giancarlo Stanton is the home run derby.

• bsbiz - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

In the exact same voice as Billy Crystal telling Andre the Giant that “You ARE the Brute Squad.”

3. darthicarus - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Now queue up the line of folks saying that the HR Derby will make Stanton have a horrible 2nd half of the season & he should stay away. These people will then be given statistics saying this isn’t the case and he’ll be fine, which may or may not be true it could just all be coincidental. I for one don’t care if it does or doesn’t affect his second half of the season (figuratively speaking on the “half” season left) I just want to see some moon shots and enjoy the show he’ll put on, while having the TV on mute because Chris Berman (assuming again here that he’ll be doing this) makes me want to punch myself in the face.

One argument for the failed rest of the season after participating, see Brandon Inge. After his stellar performance he had a terrible 2nd half…and every year after…but he was never good to begin with so perhaps he isn’t the best argument. /DisgruntledTigersFan

4. nolanwiffle - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Frankly, I think Mike Stanton is equally as deserving of the honor.

• cur68 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM

nolan, I made a Mike Stanton crack and it didn’t turn up. I’m betting this comment here won’t turn up either: won’t know till after I click “post”, y’see. What I want to know, providing this DOES post, is what your secret is? Should I be trying to be a little more urbane in my commentary? A little more suave? A little more like you, in other words? Maybe WordPress has it in for me due to my misuse and cruelty to the common comma? Dunno man, I do my best, but the lil devils just WANT to be there. Maybe I have comma-OCD? Anyhow. Whatever. Just wanted to say: “I said that, too!”. . . with commas.

5. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM

After all, what’s the most memorable Home Run Derby thing ever? Josh Hamilton putting on the laser show at Yankee Stadium, right? Well, he didn’t even win the competition that year, so who cares?

I don’t know, Cano jumping into his father’s arms last year was pretty memorable.

6. cardsfanindelaware - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but who / how are the participants selected for the Home Run Derby??

• cardsfanindelaware - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Who, as in who chooses the participants for the Derby…

• cur68 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:50 AM

This year it’ll be Kemp & Cano doing the selecting.

• cardsfanindelaware - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

So the previous year’s winner gets to annoint the following years contestants?? If that is the case, I understand Cano, but how does Kemp fit in?? Since Cano is AL, does he select a picker for the NL??

• cur68 - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I do believe MLB selects the captains. If anyone has the skinny on this, I’m sure we’d all appreciate knowing how the Captains are selected. I can see Cano: he won it last season, so its his to lose. Kemp I THINK was MLB’s (Bud’s) choice. Anyone have anything different?

• ezthinking - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Maybe because he led the NL in HR last yr? Dunno.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto