Jun 28, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Clay Buchholz just got out of the hospital for esophagitis. Less than 24 hours later, the team has confirmed, he attended a charity event for The Greg Hill Foundation, which is designed to provide immediate assistance for families touched by tragedy.
Most people would probably view that as being pretty damn noble and, depending on how sick Buchholz still was, maybe even a little brave.
Noble?! THIS IS BOSTON!
CLAY BUCHHOLZ didn’t travel w the team to the west coast, but was at a vodka-sponsored pool party at MGM Foxwoods last night. Details NEXT.
— Toucher and Rich (@Toucherandrich) June 28, 2012
That’s a talk radio show in Boston which clearly has no desire to make a big deal out of this. I mean, they only decided to call it a “vodka-sponsored pool party” at a casino, without mentioning the charity aspect first. Which, in turn, predictably set the neanderfans loose:
@Toucherandrich Clay graduated from beer and chicken to Vodka and gambling.Excellent!When does Bruins training camp start?
— jtay_nation (@jtay_NATION) June 28, 2012
— Kevin Tame (@Kevin_Tame) June 28, 2012
And on and on. Never mind that he wasn’t drinking, his doctors had no problem with him doing normal activity as soon as he was released and resuming athletic activity within a couple of days. Seriously: people are attacking Clay Buchholz for ATTENDING A CHARITY EVENT.
David Ortiz went off the other day, talking about how much b.s. playing in Boston entails. This is exactly what he was talking about.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 12
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 54
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)