Jun 28, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Clay Buchholz just got out of the hospital for esophagitis. Less than 24 hours later, the team has confirmed, he attended a charity event for The Greg Hill Foundation, which is designed to provide immediate assistance for families touched by tragedy.
Most people would probably view that as being pretty damn noble and, depending on how sick Buchholz still was, maybe even a little brave.
Noble?! THIS IS BOSTON!
CLAY BUCHHOLZ didn’t travel w the team to the west coast, but was at a vodka-sponsored pool party at MGM Foxwoods last night. Details NEXT.
— Toucher and Rich (@Toucherandrich) June 28, 2012
That’s a talk radio show in Boston which clearly has no desire to make a big deal out of this. I mean, they only decided to call it a “vodka-sponsored pool party” at a casino, without mentioning the charity aspect first. Which, in turn, predictably set the neanderfans loose:
@Toucherandrich Clay graduated from beer and chicken to Vodka and gambling.Excellent!When does Bruins training camp start?
— jtay_nation (@jtay_NATION) June 28, 2012
— Kevin Tame (@Kevin_Tame) June 28, 2012
And on and on. Never mind that he wasn’t drinking, his doctors had no problem with him doing normal activity as soon as he was released and resuming athletic activity within a couple of days. Seriously: people are attacking Clay Buchholz for ATTENDING A CHARITY EVENT.
David Ortiz went off the other day, talking about how much b.s. playing in Boston entails. This is exactly what he was talking about.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)