Jun 28, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
Add Eric Wilbur* to the list of people who think that attending an event to aid families struck by tragedy, when said event does not conflict with any doctor’s orders and is totally cool as far as the team is concerned, is “immature”:
Buchholz did not drink at the charity event, which also featured a golf outing hosted by WAAF’s Greg Hill, but his appearance still speaks volumes about the pitcher’s immaturity and lack of perception.
Wilbur wrote that before being informed that Red Sox doctors cleared it. Then, after being informed of this, Wilbur says that makes it even dumber, somehow. He then offers this doozy:
I get it. It sounds malevolent to complain about a guy attending something for charity, and if he didn’t drink, what’s the big deal? Good for Buchholz for showing his support.
But what an idiot.
He goes on to imply that Buchholz’s immaturity (or something of his own doing) is what landed him in the hospital in the first place:
Mind you, had Buchholz not swallowed chewing tobacco, taken too many Alleves, or whatever caused his bout of esophagitis, he was supposed to be on a Western-bound plane following yesterday’s 10-4 win over the Blue Jays.
I have no idea what caused Buchholz’s medical condition. It may very well have been something he did. But I’m also pretty sure that Dr. Wilbur here doesn’t know either. Not that that’s gonna stop him.
My favorite part is the “lack of perception” idea Wilbur puts in here. Like, it’s not a problem, except for the way it’s going to be perceived.
Well, given that it’s people with absolutely no perspective about things that truly matter in the world — people like the radio idiots who blew this up this morning and Wilbur here who is running with it — who are perceiving it, I sincerely hope Buchholz refuses to give a single crap about what they’re saying.
*UPDATE: I had originally referred to this as a Boston Globe article. It’s not. Wilbur is not a Boston Globe staff person. He writes a fan blog which is hosted by Boston.com, which is also the web home of the Globe.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 17
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 45
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 66
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)