More people pile on Clay Buchholz

Jun 28, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT

buchholz-120215.standard[1]

Add Eric Wilbur*  to the list of people who think that attending an event to aid families struck by tragedy, when said event does not conflict with any doctor’s orders and is totally cool as far as the team is concerned, is “immature”:

Buchholz did not drink at the charity event, which also featured a golf outing hosted by WAAF’s Greg Hill, but his appearance still speaks volumes about the pitcher’s immaturity and lack of perception.

Wilbur wrote that before being informed that Red Sox doctors cleared it. Then, after being informed of this, Wilbur says that makes it even dumber, somehow. He then offers this doozy:

But what an idiot.

He goes on to imply that Buchholz’s immaturity (or something of his own doing) is what landed him in the hospital in the first place:

Mind you, had Buchholz not swallowed chewing tobacco, taken too many Alleves, or whatever caused his bout of esophagitis, he was supposed to be on a Western-bound plane following yesterday’s 10-4 win over the Blue Jays.

I have no idea what caused Buchholz’s medical condition. It may very well have been something he did. But I’m also pretty sure that Dr. Wilbur here doesn’t know either. Not that that’s gonna stop him.

My favorite part is the “lack of perception” idea Wilbur puts in here. Like, it’s not a problem, except for the way it’s going to be perceived.

Well, given that it’s people with absolutely no perspective about things that truly matter in the world — people like the radio idiots who blew this up this morning and Wilbur here who is running with it — who are perceiving it, I sincerely hope Buchholz refuses to give a single crap about what they’re saying.

*UPDATE: I had originally referred to this as a Boston Globe article. It’s not. Wilbur is not a Boston Globe staff person. He writes a fan blog which is hosted by Boston.com, which is also the web home of the Globe.

1. skeleteeth - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

“I get it. It sounds malevolent to complain about a guy attending something for charity, and if he didn’t drink, what’s the big deal? Good for Buchholz for showing his support.

But what an idiot.”

Is that followed by something like: “Doesn’t he know there are morons such as myself that will blow any action like this way out of proportion?”

5 games over .500 with a season full of crap luck and some pieces finally coming back while others start to heat up. It is definitely time for little people to focus on little things.

• justthepeanutgallery - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

The fallout from the end of last year and the golf incident this year probably prompted this article expecting some sort of balanced debate. It failed.

I think this was a complete misread by both Wilbur and the Globe. They didn’t know their audience and I hope they take a beating from this. The least he could have done was headline the charity a little more to give it some airtime but I don’t think that was his intended use of these people and families whose lives aren’t as grand as sports writers.

• skeleteeth - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

5 consecutive series losses…eh, I could see why something like this would set some people off. Since being swept by the Nationals it’s the complete opposite (5 consecutive series wins) and this what you write about?

• petey1999 - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

As has been pointed out, Wilbur doesn’t work for the Globe. And for the record, the two Globe Red Sox beat writers who matter, Abraham and Cafardo, think this is a non-story.

2. annaalamode - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

This Buchholz thing is the very definition of tempest in a teapot.

3. cerowb - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

We can all agree that this is the stupidest thing ever, right? I mean, people are REALLY complaining about a professional athlete attending a charity event?

I quit.

• Gobias Industries - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Just be thankful the guy didn’t untuck his jersey and do two somersaults at this event otherwise we’d NEVER hear the end of this.

4. mybrunoblog - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Spent some time on the John before. No TP available so I used the sports section of the Boston Globe.

• alang3131982 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

and, thereby, insulted your poo

• CJ - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

personally I’d use the globe first. at least TP is good for something.

5. woodenulykteneau - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Craig it bears repeating. The philistines at WEEI used to constantly play the Rick Pitino rant (“Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parish are not walking through that door, and if they do, they’re gonna be old and grey.”) about the negativity in Boston, blissfully unaware of the irony.

• bigleagues - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

WRONG.

WEEI (along with every other media outlet in Boston) plays it (and Pitino rightfully stated it) to illustrate the expectations in Boston . . . particularly for the Celtics.

However, the problem with that statement was in the tone that Pitino delivered it – at once sounding condescending towards and clueless about the Boston sports fan mentality. The response from the fans was negative towards Pitino’s comment.

The fact remains, Pitino was speaking frankly and he was correct in his assessment. The problem with that was that Pitino was supposed to be “The Man” to return Championship basketball to Boston and he seemed to be saying (to some) that they shouldn’t expect any championships any time soon.

• woodenulykteneau - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Thanks for proving my point, which was that Pitino was being mocked despite being spot-on because he wasn’t sufficiently obsequious to the thin-skinned, entitled Boston Celtics fanbase.

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Man, I thought the Toronto media was unfairly critical of Leafs players. At least they usually have at least some reason to be critical. This guy has no reason to be critical of Buchholz. None whatsoever.

Or, in his own words, what an idiot.

7. cur68 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

This is reaching stupid to the point of lobotomy proportions. I do not get it. Is there a scintilla of evidence that Buchholz did more than sit down for a few hours, all in the name of a good cause? Is there a shred of evidence that he did something that other than what hundreds of his peers do and are not faulted for?

Clay Buchholz, if you’re reading this, just let me say, loud and clear, anyone criticizing you for your actions, medical problems or for caring about a charity evident IS AN IDIOT. Hang in there, bro.

8. onearmdragon - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM

If only media writers could be sent to the minors, traded or out right released when they are incompetent in doing their job.

Seriously, the Boston media is a great example of what is wrong with sports ( and media generally). Buchholz supported a charity in his free time and this tabloid b!@ch has issues? Trade the writer to the local car trader rag, what a moron.

9. randygnyc - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I LOVE THE BOSTON MEDIA!!!!!!! Keep it up, fellas.

10. themuddychicken - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Ugh

11. F14TRex.com - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Wouldn’t you get tired of writing this stuff? You’d think after forcing controversy after controversy, you’d stop and realize, “Man, is this what I’m using my J degree for?”

I want to have the same job these guys have when I’m out of college, and when I write, I always keep in mind, “Would I actually say this to the person’s face?” It’s the best way to prevent saying something stupid, and it’s a strategy I would suggest to them.

12. nightman13 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

This is a clown story, bro

13. townballblog - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I’m from Boston… I wish we could outsource our sports media.

• paperlions - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

…but then you would only get stories about cricket and soccer.

14. townballblog - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Sorry… To be fair, there are some very good sports journalists and sports coverage in the New England area. NESN does a good job and Don Orsilo and Jerry Remy are two of the best when they’re together.

I am sure Craig, if he has time, could name some other folks who are worth a read or two.

15. garylanglais - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

The Organization continues to harp on interests unrelated to the team’s on-field activities (sellout streak, Fenway’s 100th year anniversary, Red Sox Nation)…

The Boston Media continues its persistent connection of anything relating to last year’s collapse (Gonzo not being enough of a leader, Beckett’s golf outing, Ortiz taking too long to assert himself)…

And now there are enough Red Sox “fans” to perpetuate the problems.

16. edgarallan926 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Add NFL Network Analyst Albert Breer to the mix who can’t quite understand this situation:

@AlbertBreer: This Bucholz thing is hilarious…Here’s the deal: Going to that part shows a tremendous lack of self-awareness, permission or not. He was Beckett’s golf buddy for crying out loud.

I questioned him on his logic and he came back to say that writing a check due to the bad perception his attendance would have cause would have sufficed.

Decent point but really, what a joke. Athletes are not allowed to show their face at anything but a clubhouse or podium in season because how people might react?? A lot of people need to get their priorities straight because the fact that this is even a story at all is proving Big Papi right.

17. mornelithe - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Beckett playing golf after being a scratch from a start, and Buccholz going to a charity event after being laid up in the hospital for esophogitis are two vastly different things. Boston media going crazy for nothing. I think they simply found a way to attract massive amounts of hits by creating inflammatory Red Sox articles.

18. hammyofdoom - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I have been saying this a lot recently (being a Red Sox fan), but I FUCKING HATE Boston media. I thought David Ortiz was right the second he made his comments not long ago, the fact that people like goddamn Dan Shaugnessey (or however you spell that morons name) is a legitimate voice in your media there is a problem. Are they so blind as to not realize that two World Series titles in the past 8 years is a great thing that most teams havent gotten in a long time? This team is 3rd in the AL East with all the shit thats been going on and I’ve heard nothing but negativity. Why!? GAH!

• patsandsox - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Dan Shaugnessey is the worst of a rotten bunch of the Boston media. He stopped being relevent a long time ago. To bad his peers havent figured that out

19. hasbeen5 - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Stupid is everywhere today.

20. paperlions - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Unlike other sports, baseball players are not required to talk to the media, many players simply never give interviews or quotes. It would probably be good for Red Sox player moral/solidarity if, as a group, the refused to talk to the media for the rest of the season. If they aren’t going to act like grown ups or be responsible professionals, why interact with them or make their jobs easier.

• CJ - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

as much sense as that makes, it’d probably make the problem worse, not better.

21. theawesomersfranchise - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM

This is taken from a blog, which is akin to hearing some guy on the street yammer cluelessly about this topic.

Not Journalism but a Blog, Eric Wilbur is nobody who writes most of his clap-trap from the woman scorned point of view.

Same guy who called Tom Brady an embarrassment to the Pats a few months ago.
    Give it and the author the amount of seriousness it deserves
    None

22. charlutes - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Guaranteed Mathew Pouliot is at the bottom of the pile biting faces.

23. hammyofdoom - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Anyone try to go to the blog post recently that this post links? I cant go to it, please tell me it was taken down?

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4999)