Jun 28, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
The Phillies bullpen is a hot mess, and two of the messier parts of it have been Chad Qualls and Joe Savery. They gone now, however, as the team has DFA’d Qualls and has optioned Savery to Lehigh Valley.
Qualls has a 4.60 ERA and has allowed 39 hits in 31 and a third innings. Savery has been worse, sporting a 5.87 ERA and has allowed 26 hits and seven walks in 23 innings. And whether this is cause or effect, the fact is that the Phillies were 0-17 in games in which Savery pitched this year.
In their place, the Phils have called up lefty reliever Jeremy Horst and righty Brian Sanches. Sanches was part of the hot mess brigade earlier this season for Philly, but he has been much better since he’s been down at triple-A and has apparently earned a second chance. Horst has been even better, posting an ERA of 2.11 in 38 and a third innings for the Iron Pigs.
Rearranging deck chairs? Eh, maybe. But sometimes that works with bullpens.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 16
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 57
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)