Jun 28, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
The Dodgers on Wednesday became the sixth team since 2000 to get shutout in three straight games. The Nationals on Thursday became the second team this year and 47th since 2000 to score 10 runs in three straight games.
It almost didn’t happen today, but Bryce Harper launched a game-tying homer in the top of the ninth for the Nationals’ 10th run. The Nationals beat Colorado 12-5 on Tuesday and 11-5 on Wednesday.
Of course, playing the Rockies in Coors Field had a huge role in the feat. The Rockies were the only other team to score 10 runs in three straight games this season and they did it at Coors Field from May 30-June 1.
As mentioned, there were 47 occasions since 2000 in which a team scored at least 10 runs in three straight games. The Rockies offense accounted for seven of them, but surprisingly enough, this is just the third time their pitching staff has been involved on the other side of the equation.
Five teams since 2000 have scored at least 10 runs in four straight games:
2000 Mariners – April 14-18 against Blue Jays, White Sox
2000 Rockies – April 30-May 3 against Mets, Expos
2006 Braves (five straight games) – July 14-18 against Padres, Cardinals
2007 Braves – July 29-Aug. 2 against Diamondbacks, Astros
2007 Red Sox – Aug. 24-26 (included doubleheader) against White Sox
The Red Sox outscored the White Sox 46-7 in sweeping that four-game series.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)