Jun 28, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
The Dodgers on Wednesday became the sixth team since 2000 to get shutout in three straight games. The Nationals on Thursday became the second team this year and 47th since 2000 to score 10 runs in three straight games.
It almost didn’t happen today, but Bryce Harper launched a game-tying homer in the top of the ninth for the Nationals’ 10th run. The Nationals beat Colorado 12-5 on Tuesday and 11-5 on Wednesday.
Of course, playing the Rockies in Coors Field had a huge role in the feat. The Rockies were the only other team to score 10 runs in three straight games this season and they did it at Coors Field from May 30-June 1.
As mentioned, there were 47 occasions since 2000 in which a team scored at least 10 runs in three straight games. The Rockies offense accounted for seven of them, but surprisingly enough, this is just the third time their pitching staff has been involved on the other side of the equation.
Five teams since 2000 have scored at least 10 runs in four straight games:
2000 Mariners – April 14-18 against Blue Jays, White Sox
2000 Rockies – April 30-May 3 against Mets, Expos
2006 Braves (five straight games) – July 14-18 against Padres, Cardinals
2007 Braves – July 29-Aug. 2 against Diamondbacks, Astros
2007 Red Sox – Aug. 24-26 (included doubleheader) against White Sox
The Red Sox outscored the White Sox 46-7 in sweeping that four-game series.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 10
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)