Jun 28, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
The Dodgers on Wednesday became the sixth team since 2000 to get shutout in three straight games. The Nationals on Thursday became the second team this year and 47th since 2000 to score 10 runs in three straight games.
It almost didn’t happen today, but Bryce Harper launched a game-tying homer in the top of the ninth for the Nationals’ 10th run. The Nationals beat Colorado 12-5 on Tuesday and 11-5 on Wednesday.
Of course, playing the Rockies in Coors Field had a huge role in the feat. The Rockies were the only other team to score 10 runs in three straight games this season and they did it at Coors Field from May 30-June 1.
As mentioned, there were 47 occasions since 2000 in which a team scored at least 10 runs in three straight games. The Rockies offense accounted for seven of them, but surprisingly enough, this is just the third time their pitching staff has been involved on the other side of the equation.
Five teams since 2000 have scored at least 10 runs in four straight games:
2000 Mariners – April 14-18 against Blue Jays, White Sox
2000 Rockies – April 30-May 3 against Mets, Expos
2006 Braves (five straight games) – July 14-18 against Padres, Cardinals
2007 Braves – July 29-Aug. 2 against Diamondbacks, Astros
2007 Red Sox – Aug. 24-26 (included doubleheader) against White Sox
The Red Sox outscored the White Sox 46-7 in sweeping that four-game series.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)