Jun 28, 2012, 9:46 PM EDT
The Trevor Bauer experience got off to a bit of a shaky start tonight in Atlanta. In the most hyped debut for a starting pitcher since Yu Darvish in April, the 2011 No. 3 overall pick allowed two runs over four innings as part of a no-decision against the Braves.
Bauer struck out Michael Bourn looking on a 3-2 pitch to begin his major league career and was able to get out of the first inning unscathed after giving up a two-out single to Martin Prado. The Braves threatened in the second inning after Chipper Jones singled and Freddie Freeman doubled, but the 21-year-old right-hander was able to get Andrelton Simmons on a ground out and Jair Jurrjens to strike out to escape.
Things got pretty dicey in a 30-pitch third inning. He walked three, hit a batter and gave up an RBI double to Brian McCann. The inning even included a visit from the team trainer, but the rookie right-hander checked out OK. He was pretty fortunate to get out of it with just one run crossing the plate. Bauer gave up a sacrifice fly in his final inning of work before Gerardo Parra pinch-hit for him with two outs in the top of the fifth.
All told, Bauer allowed five hits while walking three, striking out three and hitting a batter. He threw 42 out of 74 pitches for strikes. It’s worth noting that he threw 50 pitches Sunday during his final start with Triple-A Reno, so the Diamondbacks likely planned to have a quick hook all along.
It was a pretty uneven debut for Bauer, but it’s easy to see why he has garnered so much attention. While he didn’t have his best curveball working, he was hitting 95 mph with his fastball and showcased his wide assortment of pitches. He’ll be a lot of fun to watch moving forward.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 114
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)