Jun 28, 2012, 5:11 PM EST
There was some cautious optimism that Victor Martinez might make it back to the Tigers lineup by August, but that hope has been dashed:
#Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand: Best case scenario for VMart return is mid to late September. Will have leg strengthening program.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) June 28, 2012
Earlier it had been “by September,” without the “best case scenario” qualification. Of course, any contribution he can make will be useful. And as long as he can make it back by the end of the regular season — and if the Tigers don’t continue to sorta stink — he would be eligible for the playoffs.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 42
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)