Jun 28, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
There was some cautious optimism that Victor Martinez might make it back to the Tigers lineup by August, but that hope has been dashed:
#Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand: Best case scenario for VMart return is mid to late September. Will have leg strengthening program.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) June 28, 2012
Earlier it had been “by September,” without the “best case scenario” qualification. Of course, any contribution he can make will be useful. And as long as he can make it back by the end of the regular season — and if the Tigers don’t continue to sorta stink — he would be eligible for the playoffs.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20