Jun 28, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
There was some cautious optimism that Victor Martinez might make it back to the Tigers lineup by August, but that hope has been dashed:
#Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand: Best case scenario for VMart return is mid to late September. Will have leg strengthening program.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) June 28, 2012
Earlier it had been “by September,” without the “best case scenario” qualification. Of course, any contribution he can make will be useful. And as long as he can make it back by the end of the regular season — and if the Tigers don’t continue to sorta stink — he would be eligible for the playoffs.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (87)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)