Jun 28, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
It’s still early enough to turn around, but there are a lot of hitters this year with many more homers than doubles:
Jose Bautista – 25 HR, 9 2B
Adam Dunn – 24 HR, 10 2B
Curtis Granderson – 21 HR, 9 2B
Carlos Beltran – 20 HR, 9 2B
Dayan Viciedo – 13 HR, 4 2B
Matt Kemp – 12 HR, 6 2B
Mike Napoli – 12 HR, 6 2B
Justin Smoak – 11 HR, 3 2B
That’s the list of players with at least 10 homers and no more than half as many doubles. There’s also Ryan Braun at 20 homers and 12 doubles, Edwin Encarnacion at 22 homers and 14 doubles and Josh Hamilton at 24 homers and 15 doubles.
Some of these are going to even out a bit, but it seems like a given that at least one or two guys here will become the first player(s) since 2008 to finish with at least 20 homers and have twice as many homers as doubles. Napoli (20 HR, 9 2B) and Marcus Thames (25 HR, 12 2B) both did it that year.
It’s also possible that someone will have at least 20 homers and three times as many homers as doubles since Frank Thomas finished with 39 homers and 11 doubles for the A’s in 2006. Viciedo and Smoak are both on such a pace at the moment, and Bautista is barely off.
Still, it seems safe to suggest no one is touching Mark McGwire, who had 29 homers and four doubles in his final season in 2001. He also had 32 homers and eight doubles the year before in 2000. He finished his career with 583 homers and 252 doubles, so he was pretty much the king of this stat.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)