Jun 28, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
The initial word Wednesday was that Andy Pettitte would miss at least six weeks with the broken left fibula he suffered when hit by a Casey Kotchman liner. The Yankees, though, placed him on the 60-day DL today, suggesting that he’ll be put on a rehab plan to return right around Sept. 1.
The Bombers also officially placed CC Sabathia on the 15-day DL today. Called up to replace the injured pitchers were Adam Warren and Ryota Igarashi.
Warren, 24, will make his major league debut Friday, starting in Sabathia’s place. That was originally expected to be Freddy Garcia‘s assignment, but he’ll start Monday in Pettitte’s place after pitching in relief yesterday.
Warren was 5-5 with a 3.86 ERA and a 59/27 K/BB ratio in 86 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He was 3-2 with a 2.03 ERA in five starts this month.
Igarashi will join the pen. He made two appearances for the Jays and one for the Yankees earlier this season and allowed runs in all of them. Overall, he has a 6.21 ERA in 71 innings as a major league reliever.
Until Sabathia returns — something that should happen immediately after the break — the Yankees will use a rotation of Hiroki Kuroda, Ivan Nova, Phil Hughes, Garcia and Warren. Both Garcia and Warren will apparently have two starts to show that they deserve to keep their spot once Sabathia is back.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)