Jun 28, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
The initial word Wednesday was that Andy Pettitte would miss at least six weeks with the broken left fibula he suffered when hit by a Casey Kotchman liner. The Yankees, though, placed him on the 60-day DL today, suggesting that he’ll be put on a rehab plan to return right around Sept. 1.
The Bombers also officially placed CC Sabathia on the 15-day DL today. Called up to replace the injured pitchers were Adam Warren and Ryota Igarashi.
Warren, 24, will make his major league debut Friday, starting in Sabathia’s place. That was originally expected to be Freddy Garcia‘s assignment, but he’ll start Monday in Pettitte’s place after pitching in relief yesterday.
Warren was 5-5 with a 3.86 ERA and a 59/27 K/BB ratio in 86 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He was 3-2 with a 2.03 ERA in five starts this month.
Igarashi will join the pen. He made two appearances for the Jays and one for the Yankees earlier this season and allowed runs in all of them. Overall, he has a 6.21 ERA in 71 innings as a major league reliever.
Until Sabathia returns — something that should happen immediately after the break — the Yankees will use a rotation of Hiroki Kuroda, Ivan Nova, Phil Hughes, Garcia and Warren. Both Garcia and Warren will apparently have two starts to show that they deserve to keep their spot once Sabathia is back.
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 5
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 40
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 41
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)