And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Jun 29, 2012, 5:40 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

Pirates 5, Phillies 4: All of you who predicted that A.J. Burnett was going to rattle off eight straight wins at some point this year, please cut it out because you’re lying. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go piss off a bunch of Yankees fans by suggesting that Brian Cashman should trade for Burnett to shore up the depleted pitching staff.

Rangers 7, Athletics 6: Because you want to play an almost four-hour nine-inning game in steamy hot Arlington, Texas, the ten pitchers these teams trotted out there combined to throw 345 pitches.

Rockies 11, Nationals 10: This one was probably fun for no one either. The Rockies jumped out to a 7-0 lead, totally squandered it when Josh Outman couldn’t live up to his name, then finally pulled it out on a Marco Scutaro RBI single in the 11th. Jim Tracy said after the game “we made it a lot harder on ourselves than we needed to.” That describes most of the 19 years of Colorado Rockies baseball, no?

Padres 7, Astros 3: Kind of a wild one. Andrew Cashner had a no-hitter going into the seventh inning but left that inning poised to be the loser. Then San Diego rallied for six runs in the ninth, capped by an Alexi Amarista grand slam.

Diamondbacks 3, Braves 2: Trevor Bauer made his big league debut, but wasn’t efficient and didn’t figure in the decision. Chris Young hit a ninth inning homer to win it.

Tigers 5, Rays 2: Four straight losses for the Rays. Weird stat line: James Shields allowed 14 hits, but still pitched seven and two-thirds innings. How often do pitchers who get knocked around like that go almost eight?

Angels 9, Blue Jays 7: The Jays loaded the bases against Ernesto Frieri in the ninth, but he slipped out of it. Two run homers each for Mike Trout and Mark Trumbo. We’ve been calling their numbers all year.

White Sox 4, Yankees 3: Any team can have a closer blow a two-run lead in the ninth, but it takes a special team to have three relievers more or less combine to do it. Cody Eppley and Clay Rapada each put a runner on base in the ninth — Rapada thanks to his own throwing error which should have resulted in a double play — and then David Robertson gave up a three-run homer to Dayan Viciedo.

Indians 7, Orioles 2: The Tribe snap a five-game losing streak. How did they do it? Likely some sort of Faustian bargain. How else to explain a Johnny Damon three-run home run off a lefty?

Giants 5, Reds 0: Madison Bumgarner: one-hitter complete game. That’s four straight shutouts for San Francisco pitching. Eventually, I presume, a team will score a run against the Giants. I’m just not sure when.

Mariners 1, Red Sox 0: Wow, another awesome pitching performance out west. Living in the eastern time zone sucks, dudes. I saw the ugly games last night and missed the gems. Felix Hernandez: CG SHO 13K.

Mets 3, Dodgers 2: L.A. is reeling, but hey, at least they ended their 33-inning scoreless streak. David Wright hit a solo homer and RBI double. Fifth straight loss for the Dodgers.

1. wondroushippo - Jun 29, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Didn’t Alex Cobb pitch an 8-inning CG where he gave up 8 runs the other night?

• geoknows - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Yup, on Monday against the Royals. Lost 8-0. But in giving up eight runs he only threw 113 pitches.

2. tribester - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:14 AM

All 7 of Cleveland’s runs came from homeruns, making even more dubious/interesting.

3. icanspeel - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I just noticed Ernesto Frieri still hasn’t given up a run as an Angel over 23 games.. that is pretty impressive. I wonder what the record is for most appearances in a row without giving up a run.

4. papalurchdxb - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Atchison stunk it up for the Sox, and Salty finished it off by (literally) dropping the ball. But hey, I got to watch Felix work his magic over breakfast..

5. redguy12588 - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:40 AM

The Pirates won and Cutch didn’t get a hit. I never would have thought that was possible.

Seriously

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM

BIg Deal it was Kyle Kendrick pitching, anybody can hit Kyle Kendrick.

• wlschneider09 - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:22 AM

‘cept for Cutch

6. cshearing - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Every AL East team lost. I wonder if that’s the first time this season?

7. rollinghighwayblues - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM

My hotel is 15 miles from Rangers Ballpark and I think I heard Bob Melvin cursing the game of baseball when I opened my window last night.

The bottom of the 5th was a true marvel. It had to have taken the Athletics 50 minutes to record three outs. The half inning featured the Rangers sending 10 guys to the plate, scouring four runs , taking the lead, and literally getting one ball out of the infield which was a seeing-eye single.

8. Old Gator - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM

No Feesh game last night, just an occasional recourse to spawrts tork raydeeo while changing CDs on the car player. Bruce Springsteen is losing it, but not as badly as our local Macondo commentators. I don’t know quite who was speaking – Zaslo, I think, and one other guy – but here was an exchange I actually heard: Q: so what do you think the answers to the Marlins’ hitting problems is {sic}? A: Well, they just have to play better.

Sound lollipops for the brain-dead. Dear Buddha, please cut to a JiffyLube commercial,

9. lazlosother - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I’d like to be pissed but I can’t. I’ve got nothing against Burnett. The NY tenure did not turn out well but it wasn’t for lack of effort. He went out and took a beating, and made no excuses. It got to be depressing to watch. He was a classic “change of scenery” guy by the end and I’m glad he’s having success with the Pirates.

As for last night’s game, #%&*@$#^$^$%!

10. The Rabbit - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Don’t know, but when I first started following baseball before the days of set up men and all the matchups, starters were rarely left in for 5 or more innings if they gave up a ton of runs. It’s not uncommon now.

11. pisano - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I think most Yankee fans realized AJ would do fine with the Pirates, he just couldn’t pitch in NY. He has a good arm, but his head was his problem in NY. Believe me the Yankees and Cashman would not want him back because his circus in NY would start all over again. I wish him well, but please stay in the NL, it’s better for him and everyone else.

• florida76 - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Hilarious line about the Yankees even thinking about trading for Burnett, the chances of the NL contending Bucs dealing their likely All-Star pitcher now are the same as the the sun not rising tomorrow.

12. number42is1 - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I have hated Giaradi since 2008. I think that he’s a terrible Manager and has proven that time and time again. Yes we won it all in 09 DESPITE his decisions not BECAUSE of them. that being said over the last season and a half he has been much better…. until last night. you got TWO closers in your bullpen. I get that Soriano worked too many days in a row but to not put Robertson in to start the inning is what did them in. his over thinking has caused the Yankees yet another game.

13. uyf1950 - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM

A disappointing lose for the Yankees as a Yankee fan. That’s about all I can say about the game.

• dink53 - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Except now they’re giving up dingers to girls.

14. beefytrout - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Feldman wasn’t a complete disaster last night, which is about as positive as you can expect. Some questionable moves though… not sure Feldman should have gone out to start the 6th, and then after the first two guys reach… you bring in Scheppers? It worked out as you would expect. Both runners score. The Tanner era in Texas has got be near its end, right? Adams, who absolutely hates 1-2-3 innings, actually managed to get out of an inning without anyone scoring. And Nathan for the 3rd day in a row? Yikes. Again, it worked out how you’d expect, with the a’s getting runners on 1st and 3rd with only 1 out… but then Joe Nathan remembered he is Joe Nathan, and slammed the door shut.

• pw38 - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Leave it up to the Rangers to make a contender out of a lowly AL West team. They can’t seem to play anyone in their division with any consistency this season. Sorta like the Angels last year. Hopefully without the same result. I agree about Feldman and Scheppers? lol *sigh*…

I tell you what though, Nathan at least keeps it interesting! :p

15. sportsdrenched.com - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM

The Giants haven’t allowed a run in four games? That’s just dumb, it’s time to turn off the Xbox, Playstation or whatever the kids are playing these days.

16. goawaydog - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

The Giants are serving free doughnuts and bagels in the visitors club house all week.

17. APBA Guy - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM

The A’s went crazy and actually got some hits last night. Even crazier is the fact that the first 3 hits were HR’s, meaning that the A’s had 5 hits in a row that were HR’s (two in the last game vs. Seattle). The A’s! Talk about a Quirk-Gem or whatever they call it on BBTN these days.

But it wasn’t enough. They weren’t playing Seattle anymore, and even with the injuries (and trust me, Josh still looks sickly) someone on the Rangers will be hot on any given night. Wash made an interesting move, pulling the very hot David Murphy to get the favorable matchup with Gentry. It paid off too, as Gentry singled. Gentry is hitting .350 this year, because he’s being used very carefully. It won’t last.

This could be a long series for the A’s. Getting to Feldman was their best bet, but the Rangers got to Ross even more.

18. randygnyc - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Yankees threw away (literally) a game to a much less talented team last night. Girardi gets an assist in the loss with his bullpen mismanagement.

19. randygnyc - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Craig- Yankees management wouldn’t piss on Burnett, even if he was on fire. They wouldn’t take AJ back, even if the Pirates threw in McCutchen.

20. stex52 - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Glad I pretty much missed the Astros/Padres. An epic meltdown by Myers, when the game was in hand. So much for great closer trade value. When he goes south, he does it big time.

Attendance had a little room over the Mendoza line, though, on a Thursday. The kids are not that good, but at least we see some real effort this year. I would like to see it rewarded; with hope for better things in the future.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3722)