Jun 29, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT
Brad Lidge was released by the Nationals earlier this week after being designated for assignment and clearing waivers. The move came just 10 days after he returned from sports hernia surgery. While he’s now free to sign anywhere, he appears to be having a tough time letting go of the way the Nationals handled things.
“I am healthy,” Lidge told ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick via email, “but based on the path I would have to take to get back to the bigs this year I am not sure I will be jumping back in right now. No official decision one way or another, but mostly I am not happy that I rushed back from surgery before I was ready only to be designated for assignment a couple of days later.”
You have to respect Lidge’s work ethic, but the Nationals simply determined that he wasn’t worth the roster spot anymore. Not an easy decision to make when somebody is making $1 million. The 35-year-old right-hander had an obscene 9.64 ERA and 11 walks over just 9 1/3 innings, so they had a legitimate case to give him the boot. Still, it’s a pretty tough pill to swallow for someone who has enjoyed a lot of success in the big leagues.
There’s no shortage of teams looking for bullpen help and Lidge has instructed his agents to take calls from potential suitors. Emotions are running pretty high at the moment, but we probably haven’t seen the last of him in the big leagues.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)