Jun 29, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT
Brad Lidge was released by the Nationals earlier this week after being designated for assignment and clearing waivers. The move came just 10 days after he returned from sports hernia surgery. While he’s now free to sign anywhere, he appears to be having a tough time letting go of the way the Nationals handled things.
“I am healthy,” Lidge told ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick via email, “but based on the path I would have to take to get back to the bigs this year I am not sure I will be jumping back in right now. No official decision one way or another, but mostly I am not happy that I rushed back from surgery before I was ready only to be designated for assignment a couple of days later.”
You have to respect Lidge’s work ethic, but the Nationals simply determined that he wasn’t worth the roster spot anymore. Not an easy decision to make when somebody is making $1 million. The 35-year-old right-hander had an obscene 9.64 ERA and 11 walks over just 9 1/3 innings, so they had a legitimate case to give him the boot. Still, it’s a pretty tough pill to swallow for someone who has enjoyed a lot of success in the big leagues.
There’s no shortage of teams looking for bullpen help and Lidge has instructed his agents to take calls from potential suitors. Emotions are running pretty high at the moment, but we probably haven’t seen the last of him in the big leagues.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)