Brad Lidge isn’t happy with the Nationals, might not pitch again this season

Jun 29, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT

Brad Lidge Getty Getty Images

Brad Lidge was released by the Nationals earlier this week after being designated for assignment and clearing waivers. The move came just 10 days after he returned from sports hernia surgery. While he’s now free to sign anywhere, he appears to be having a tough time letting go of the way the Nationals handled things.

“I am healthy,” Lidge told ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick via email, “but based on the path I would have to take to get back to the bigs this year I am not sure I will be jumping back in right now. No official decision one way or another, but mostly I am not happy that I rushed back from surgery before I was ready only to be designated for assignment a couple of days later.”

You have to respect Lidge’s work ethic, but the Nationals simply determined that he wasn’t worth the roster spot anymore. Not an easy decision to make when somebody is making $1 million. The 35-year-old right-hander had an obscene 9.64 ERA and 11 walks over just 9 1/3 innings, so they had a legitimate case to give him the boot. Still, it’s a pretty tough pill to swallow for someone who has enjoyed a lot of success in the big leagues.

There’s no shortage of teams looking for bullpen help and Lidge has instructed his agents to take calls from potential suitors. Emotions are running pretty high at the moment, but we probably haven’t seen the last of him in the big leagues.

1. djm426 - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM

The nationals will falter, lidge deserves better

• natstowngreg - Jun 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

It’s a shame things didn’t work out but this was a case of addition by subtraction. Lidge did not deserve better because he pitched poorly and hurt his team. The Nats weren’t required to keep him because he was a star once upon a time.

2. kinggw - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Lidge needs to let it go. Were the Nats supposed to keep letting him give up games? He was getting rocked before he got hurt, so its not like Nationals management screwed up his season. Lidge is a shell of what he once was, maybe he’s done. He’s had a good run, won a ring with the Phils, it just may be time to hang em up.

3. nepaseahawk - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

baby

4. thedudabides - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Gladly take him on the Mets. They desperately need bullpen help. Their bullpen has lost around 16 games. Read a report today that they’re looking at Houston Street. If that doesn’t work out I hope they get Lidge. What better way for him to stick it to the Nats.

5. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Lidge used to be a headcase with top-tier talent. Now he’s just a headcase…

6. phillyphan83 - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I hate sooooo much to say this but he’s an upgrade at this point over half the Phil’s bullpen. I can’t believe I’m saying this but we should look at bringing him back.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Thanks for 2008, Brad. For that, you’ll always be a part of Phightins history, and you’ll always have a special place in Phils Phans’ hearts. That image is seared in my memory for the rest of my life. And thanks for doing whatever you did, if anything, to bring Roy Jr. here, but it’s time to move on.

Besides, the Gnats are the most talented team he’d ever been a part of…aren’t they?

7. xmatt0926x - Jun 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

He’s no upgrade. He stinks and has stunk for a couple years now. Don’t let the decent ERA in Philly fool you. He always puts men on base and it’s just a matter of him being lucky enough or not to get through the inning. Once in a while his slider is really on and he is unhittable for that inning but the majority of his outings are just brutal to watch. He’s an ex-power pitcher trying to get by with slop at this point. His delusional look at things is also nothing new. He will never admit a bad outing and will always say he pitched well and was just unlucky. He’s a really nice guy but he needs to hang it up. His name far exceeds the talent left in that arm. The Phillies have enough stiffs in the pen already.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3958)