Jun 29, 2012, 6:06 PM EDT
The Dodgers certainly need offensive help. They definitely have a whole lot of money to throw around. So why hasn’t Derrek Lee taken over at first base for the team yet?
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal suggests that Lee is interested. He wants to play, and he already lives in Los Angeles. The reason he didn’t sign over the winter was because he didn’t get any offers he liked.
Lee is 36, and he spent the first half of last year’s struggling with the Orioles. However, that was his first ever go in the American League. After being traded back to the NL in August, he hit .337/.398/.584 with seven homers in 101 at-bats for Pittsburgh.
Dodgers first basemen this year after hitting .243/.302/.339 with four homers in 292 at-bats. It’s hard to imagine that Lee wouldn’t improve on that given a few weeks in Triple-A to find his stroke. Maybe the Dodgers could do better in a trade, but given that it’d only cost them cash to make a run at Lee — and cash really isn’t an issue for the team right now — they really should make a bid.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)