Jun 29, 2012, 6:06 PM EDT
The Dodgers certainly need offensive help. They definitely have a whole lot of money to throw around. So why hasn’t Derrek Lee taken over at first base for the team yet?
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal suggests that Lee is interested. He wants to play, and he already lives in Los Angeles. The reason he didn’t sign over the winter was because he didn’t get any offers he liked.
Lee is 36, and he spent the first half of last year’s struggling with the Orioles. However, that was his first ever go in the American League. After being traded back to the NL in August, he hit .337/.398/.584 with seven homers in 101 at-bats for Pittsburgh.
Dodgers first basemen this year after hitting .243/.302/.339 with four homers in 292 at-bats. It’s hard to imagine that Lee wouldn’t improve on that given a few weeks in Triple-A to find his stroke. Maybe the Dodgers could do better in a trade, but given that it’d only cost them cash to make a run at Lee — and cash really isn’t an issue for the team right now — they really should make a bid.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)