Jun 29, 2012, 6:06 PM EDT
The Dodgers certainly need offensive help. They definitely have a whole lot of money to throw around. So why hasn’t Derrek Lee taken over at first base for the team yet?
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal suggests that Lee is interested. He wants to play, and he already lives in Los Angeles. The reason he didn’t sign over the winter was because he didn’t get any offers he liked.
Lee is 36, and he spent the first half of last year’s struggling with the Orioles. However, that was his first ever go in the American League. After being traded back to the NL in August, he hit .337/.398/.584 with seven homers in 101 at-bats for Pittsburgh.
Dodgers first basemen this year after hitting .243/.302/.339 with four homers in 292 at-bats. It’s hard to imagine that Lee wouldn’t improve on that given a few weeks in Triple-A to find his stroke. Maybe the Dodgers could do better in a trade, but given that it’d only cost them cash to make a run at Lee — and cash really isn’t an issue for the team right now — they really should make a bid.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)