Jun 29, 2012, 6:06 PM EDT
The Dodgers certainly need offensive help. They definitely have a whole lot of money to throw around. So why hasn’t Derrek Lee taken over at first base for the team yet?
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal suggests that Lee is interested. He wants to play, and he already lives in Los Angeles. The reason he didn’t sign over the winter was because he didn’t get any offers he liked.
Lee is 36, and he spent the first half of last year’s struggling with the Orioles. However, that was his first ever go in the American League. After being traded back to the NL in August, he hit .337/.398/.584 with seven homers in 101 at-bats for Pittsburgh.
Dodgers first basemen this year after hitting .243/.302/.339 with four homers in 292 at-bats. It’s hard to imagine that Lee wouldn’t improve on that given a few weeks in Triple-A to find his stroke. Maybe the Dodgers could do better in a trade, but given that it’d only cost them cash to make a run at Lee — and cash really isn’t an issue for the team right now — they really should make a bid.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 1
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)