Jun 29, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
GM Dan O’Dowd and company are only getting more desperate.
In day 11 since going to a four-man rotation, the Rockies have made their third rotation switch, sending down Edwar Cabrera two days after he got lit up by the Nationals.
Cabrera, who was hauled up out of Double-A to make his major league debut, gave up seven runs — five earned — and three homers in a loss to Washington.
The Rockies didn’t demote him immediately afterwards, suggesting that they were leaning towards sticking with him. However, Thursday’s 11-inning game — which they won despite giving up 10 runs for a third straight day — left them with an exhausted bullpen, necessating the callup of Tyler Chatwood today.
Barring an injury, Cabrera won’t be able to be recalled for 10 days, so perhaps Drew Pomeranz will be called up to start Sunday. Jeremy Guthrie and Chatwood might also be possibilities if they’re not needed in relief before then.
Cabrera could always get another look after the break, but this has to be a major bummer for him. Not only was he one-and-done in the majors, but because he was called up, MLB has already given away his spot in the Futures Game.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 280
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 32
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (282)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)