Jun 29, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
GM Dan O’Dowd and company are only getting more desperate.
In day 11 since going to a four-man rotation, the Rockies have made their third rotation switch, sending down Edwar Cabrera two days after he got lit up by the Nationals.
Cabrera, who was hauled up out of Double-A to make his major league debut, gave up seven runs — five earned — and three homers in a loss to Washington.
The Rockies didn’t demote him immediately afterwards, suggesting that they were leaning towards sticking with him. However, Thursday’s 11-inning game — which they won despite giving up 10 runs for a third straight day — left them with an exhausted bullpen, necessating the callup of Tyler Chatwood today.
Barring an injury, Cabrera won’t be able to be recalled for 10 days, so perhaps Drew Pomeranz will be called up to start Sunday. Jeremy Guthrie and Chatwood might also be possibilities if they’re not needed in relief before then.
Cabrera could always get another look after the break, but this has to be a major bummer for him. Not only was he one-and-done in the majors, but because he was called up, MLB has already given away his spot in the Futures Game.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 65
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)