Jun 29, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
GM Dan O’Dowd and company are only getting more desperate.
In day 11 since going to a four-man rotation, the Rockies have made their third rotation switch, sending down Edwar Cabrera two days after he got lit up by the Nationals.
Cabrera, who was hauled up out of Double-A to make his major league debut, gave up seven runs — five earned — and three homers in a loss to Washington.
The Rockies didn’t demote him immediately afterwards, suggesting that they were leaning towards sticking with him. However, Thursday’s 11-inning game — which they won despite giving up 10 runs for a third straight day — left them with an exhausted bullpen, necessating the callup of Tyler Chatwood today.
Barring an injury, Cabrera won’t be able to be recalled for 10 days, so perhaps Drew Pomeranz will be called up to start Sunday. Jeremy Guthrie and Chatwood might also be possibilities if they’re not needed in relief before then.
Cabrera could always get another look after the break, but this has to be a major bummer for him. Not only was he one-and-done in the majors, but because he was called up, MLB has already given away his spot in the Futures Game.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)