Jun 29, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
GM Dan O’Dowd and company are only getting more desperate.
In day 11 since going to a four-man rotation, the Rockies have made their third rotation switch, sending down Edwar Cabrera two days after he got lit up by the Nationals.
Cabrera, who was hauled up out of Double-A to make his major league debut, gave up seven runs — five earned — and three homers in a loss to Washington.
The Rockies didn’t demote him immediately afterwards, suggesting that they were leaning towards sticking with him. However, Thursday’s 11-inning game — which they won despite giving up 10 runs for a third straight day — left them with an exhausted bullpen, necessating the callup of Tyler Chatwood today.
Barring an injury, Cabrera won’t be able to be recalled for 10 days, so perhaps Drew Pomeranz will be called up to start Sunday. Jeremy Guthrie and Chatwood might also be possibilities if they’re not needed in relief before then.
Cabrera could always get another look after the break, but this has to be a major bummer for him. Not only was he one-and-done in the majors, but because he was called up, MLB has already given away his spot in the Futures Game.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)