Felix Hernandez strikes out 13 Red Sox in shutout victory

Jun 29, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT

Felix Hernandez

Between this, the Giants-Reds game and my well-known yet uncontrollable pitching fetish, I am really not liking living in the eastern time zone today. If NBC would act on my long-standing request to set me up in a nice little flat in that interwar Pacific Heights co-op I would have been awake for both of these, dammit.

Anyway: Felix Hernandez was wicked good last night, throwing his fifth career shutout and striking out 13. He allowed five singles and walked a dude, but that was about it.

The Sox got good pitching too, though, with Franklin Morales allowing only three hits in his seven inning, and it was 0-0 entering the ninth. The Red Sox had a chance to draw first blood that inning, putting runners on first and second with one out. But then Adrian Gonzalez flied out and Will “1 for 15 since the Youkilis trade” Middlebrooks popped out. Sorry, but you know people are thinkin’ it.

The M’s won it in the bottom of the inning when John Jaso singled to right field to score Casper Wells from second base. Cody Ross actually had Wells dead to rights on the throw — it beat him to the plate — but Jarrod Saltalamacchia couldn’t keep a handle on it.

I guess on a night where Felix Hernandez pitched so brilliantly, the fates couldn’t keep the W from him.

1. skeleteeth - Jun 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM

He made Boston batters look silly. I think they had 3 hits on him by the 3rd or 4th but by the 5th everyone in that ballpark had to know there was nothing doing in terms of Red Sox offense.

And Craig, you sleep when you die…

• petey1999 - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Wicked good, indeed.

• Jack Marshall - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Fact: Morales was just as good. The Sox hit more balls hard then the M’s—admittedly, it’s a better line-up. But Morales’ stuff is nasty, and he appears to have finally mastered his control. His emergence as a reliable starting pitcher, if it’s real, is an important story.

2. kinggeorge96 - Jun 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Looks like King Felix is finally learning how to win!

3. mornelithe - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Great pitching by both Morales and Felix last night, for sure. Both pitchers brought their A-Games for sure. It’s unfortunate Salty lost the ball at the plate, but these things happen. Great win for the Mariner’s, tough loss for the Sox, but at least it wasn’t their starting rotation this time, and at least the Yankee’s lost also so they didn’t lose more ground in the AL East.

Not a fan of the 10pm start times though, that’s weak.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM

10pm start times are awful. I tell myself to just go to bed before the game starts, which never happens. Next thing is I’ll just watch an inning or two and go to sleep. Fast forward 4 hours, it’s 2am in the morning and I’m pissed at myself (doubly so if the Yanks lose).

• Jack Marshall - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I love ‘em. Can get a full day and night of work in and not feel guilty about goofing off. It’s too bad that I’m a zombie all week, but you can’t have everything.

• marinersnate - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM

“Not a fan of the 10pm start times though, that’s weak.”

Really. In the first place no games have “10pm start times”. All games start at 7pm local time. Just like night games on the east coast. So what do you suggest, a 4pm local start time (when the majority of fans and ticket holders are still working) to make it more convenient for east coast fans who don’t want to lose their beauty sleep? The west coast should run it’s business on eastern time to make it handier for east coaster’s to keep up? Weak indeed.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Yes that’s exactly what we’re saying. But considering you have trouble with time zones, I’m not shocked you misinterpreted what we wrote.

• mornelithe - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

10pm start times are weak, period. And for someone complaining that 4pm start times cut into peoples work days, sounds pretty hypocritical to make fun of people who, you know, actually have to work the next day as well. Get a grip man, nobody’s changing your ‘precious’ MLB start times…but people are certainly allowed to have an opinion on them.

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Painful. A-Gon’s fly out would’ve been a 2 RBI double at Fenway. Got to hand it to Felix and the Mariners’ D though, they really earned that win.

5. skids003 - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Craig, just staay up later and sleep later. That would be cheaper than moving.

6. APBA Guy - Jun 29, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Craig, a lot of people have made the move. SF still has a few of us who remained, clinging by our fingernails through this recession/depression.

The King is the best pitcher I’ve seen, unfortunately I get to see him too often, mowing down the A’s like wheat being cut down by one of those huge threshers. Once it gets rolling, it’s inexorable, unstoppable, horrible. The Terminator come to life.

But mowing down the A’s is one thing. Mowing down the Sox is a whole other level. That’s why he is the King.

7. 24missed - Jun 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM

He’s crowned ‘King Felix’ for a reason. But, I’m liking the stuff Morales is showing. I admit to acid reflux kicking in after last year and have expected a horror show this year, but he has been a real surprise. Kudos and then some to Morales.

And yes, yes, yes. I miss Youk. Although I’ve been told by Boston fans around that it is not this Middlebrooks’ fault, whatever. I’m grieving Youk. This is a big L to me.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3952)