Jun 29, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez hadn’t played all year until a couple of weeks ago because of multiple health problems including, but not limited to, a torn pectoral muscle and a heel injury. In the past he had some awful stomach intestinal illness. He just can’t catch a break. And it’s not getting better. From last night’s game:
Gutierrez led off the fourth inning with Seattle’s first hit off Boston starter Franklin Morales. Gutierrez took his lead at first and Morales attempted a pickoff. His throw over to first was slightly into the runner, tipped off the end of first baseman Adrian Gonzalez‘s glove and hit Gutierrez near his right ear – where his helmet doesn’t have an ear flap.
Gutierrez immediately fell to the ground and was face down for several minutes before being helped back to the clubhouse. He was replaced by Michael Saunders.
Gutierrez sustained a mild concussion and is on the seven-day DL. Sad to see such a fun-to-watch player have so much bad stuff happen to him.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)