Jun 29, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Franklin Gutierrez hadn’t played all year until a couple of weeks ago because of multiple health problems including, but not limited to, a torn pectoral muscle and a heel injury. In the past he had some awful stomach intestinal illness. He just can’t catch a break. And it’s not getting better. From last night’s game:
Gutierrez led off the fourth inning with Seattle’s first hit off Boston starter Franklin Morales. Gutierrez took his lead at first and Morales attempted a pickoff. His throw over to first was slightly into the runner, tipped off the end of first baseman Adrian Gonzalez‘s glove and hit Gutierrez near his right ear – where his helmet doesn’t have an ear flap.
Gutierrez immediately fell to the ground and was face down for several minutes before being helped back to the clubhouse. He was replaced by Michael Saunders.
Gutierrez sustained a mild concussion and is on the seven-day DL. Sad to see such a fun-to-watch player have so much bad stuff happen to him.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)