Jun 29, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez hadn’t played all year until a couple of weeks ago because of multiple health problems including, but not limited to, a torn pectoral muscle and a heel injury. In the past he had some awful stomach intestinal illness. He just can’t catch a break. And it’s not getting better. From last night’s game:
Gutierrez led off the fourth inning with Seattle’s first hit off Boston starter Franklin Morales. Gutierrez took his lead at first and Morales attempted a pickoff. His throw over to first was slightly into the runner, tipped off the end of first baseman Adrian Gonzalez‘s glove and hit Gutierrez near his right ear – where his helmet doesn’t have an ear flap.
Gutierrez immediately fell to the ground and was face down for several minutes before being helped back to the clubhouse. He was replaced by Michael Saunders.
Gutierrez sustained a mild concussion and is on the seven-day DL. Sad to see such a fun-to-watch player have so much bad stuff happen to him.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 7
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 10
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)