Jun 29, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez hadn’t played all year until a couple of weeks ago because of multiple health problems including, but not limited to, a torn pectoral muscle and a heel injury. In the past he had some awful stomach intestinal illness. He just can’t catch a break. And it’s not getting better. From last night’s game:
Gutierrez led off the fourth inning with Seattle’s first hit off Boston starter Franklin Morales. Gutierrez took his lead at first and Morales attempted a pickoff. His throw over to first was slightly into the runner, tipped off the end of first baseman Adrian Gonzalez‘s glove and hit Gutierrez near his right ear – where his helmet doesn’t have an ear flap.
Gutierrez immediately fell to the ground and was face down for several minutes before being helped back to the clubhouse. He was replaced by Michael Saunders.
Gutierrez sustained a mild concussion and is on the seven-day DL. Sad to see such a fun-to-watch player have so much bad stuff happen to him.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)