Jun 29, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez hadn’t played all year until a couple of weeks ago because of multiple health problems including, but not limited to, a torn pectoral muscle and a heel injury. In the past he had some awful stomach intestinal illness. He just can’t catch a break. And it’s not getting better. From last night’s game:
Gutierrez led off the fourth inning with Seattle’s first hit off Boston starter Franklin Morales. Gutierrez took his lead at first and Morales attempted a pickoff. His throw over to first was slightly into the runner, tipped off the end of first baseman Adrian Gonzalez‘s glove and hit Gutierrez near his right ear – where his helmet doesn’t have an ear flap.
Gutierrez immediately fell to the ground and was face down for several minutes before being helped back to the clubhouse. He was replaced by Michael Saunders.
Gutierrez sustained a mild concussion and is on the seven-day DL. Sad to see such a fun-to-watch player have so much bad stuff happen to him.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)