Jun 29, 2012, 8:21 AM EDT
Never before in the long history of the Giants franchise had they thrown four straight shutouts, but they have now. They blanked the Reds 5-0. This after throwing three straight shutouts against the Dodgers. Their scoreless innings streak is now at 36 innings, the longest in team history.
The last time the Giants allowed a run was when Santiago Casilla gave up that walkoff homer to Derek Norris in Sunday’s game against the Athletics. Since then a string of pitchers have shut out the opposition. In order: Barry Zito, George Kontos and Shane Loux against the Dodgers on Monday, Ryan Vogelsong, Jeremy Affeldt and Casilla on Tuesday and Tim Lincecum, Javier Lopez and Sergio Romo on Wednesday.
Last night was the best performance yet. Madison Bumgarner needed just 107 pitches to shut out the Reds, allowing only one hit and two walks while striking out eight. The only hit was Ryan Hanigan‘s sixth inning single. Otherwise: bupkis.
The Giants now are in sole possession of first place in the NL West. If anyone is gonna do anything about that, they need to figure out how to score off these dudes first. For the moment: ain’t happening.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)