Jun 29, 2012, 8:21 AM EDT
Never before in the long history of the Giants franchise had they thrown four straight shutouts, but they have now. They blanked the Reds 5-0. This after throwing three straight shutouts against the Dodgers. Their scoreless innings streak is now at 36 innings, the longest in team history.
The last time the Giants allowed a run was when Santiago Casilla gave up that walkoff homer to Derek Norris in Sunday’s game against the Athletics. Since then a string of pitchers have shut out the opposition. In order: Barry Zito, George Kontos and Shane Loux against the Dodgers on Monday, Ryan Vogelsong, Jeremy Affeldt and Casilla on Tuesday and Tim Lincecum, Javier Lopez and Sergio Romo on Wednesday.
Last night was the best performance yet. Madison Bumgarner needed just 107 pitches to shut out the Reds, allowing only one hit and two walks while striking out eight. The only hit was Ryan Hanigan‘s sixth inning single. Otherwise: bupkis.
The Giants now are in sole possession of first place in the NL West. If anyone is gonna do anything about that, they need to figure out how to score off these dudes first. For the moment: ain’t happening.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)