Jun 29, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
At the outset, please note that as of this week, anything that will or will not happen until “after the All-Star” break is no longer really scary. Because the All-Star break is less than two weeks from now. Seems crazy early and stuff, but it’s where we are. The upshot: “until after the All-Star break” is now merely descriptive and informative, not scary.
Anyway: Ryan Dempster won’t be back until after the All-Star break. He was originally eligible to come back this past Sunday and, as recently as a couple of days ago, the Cubs thought he’d miss only one start. But I guess his strained right lat muscle is still not 100%.
No sense rushing him. He needs to be healthy for the end of July — and the trade deadline — not the beginning.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 54
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)