Jun 29, 2012, 12:42 PM EST
Ryan Howard kicked off his minor league rehab assignment last night with Class A Lakewood. He went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles, three RBI and a sacrifice fly while serving as the designated hitter.
Both hits were singles to the right of second base, the second of which he beat out for an infield hit. Howard’s baserunning appears to be a work in progress, but he had plenty of chances to test his surgically-repaired Achilles. He just missed a home run with his sacrifice fly in the ninth. All in all, a good day.
The assumption was that Howard would DH for a couple more games before playing the field, but he’s actually scheduled to play first base today. The 32-year-old slugger figures to need most of his 20-day rehab window to get into game-shape and get his timing down at the plate, but things are looking up for the Fightins.
CSNPhilly.com has video of Howard’s at-bats and some post-game comments:
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)