Jun 29, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Ryan Howard kicked off his minor league rehab assignment last night with Class A Lakewood. He went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles, three RBI and a sacrifice fly while serving as the designated hitter.
Both hits were singles to the right of second base, the second of which he beat out for an infield hit. Howard’s baserunning appears to be a work in progress, but he had plenty of chances to test his surgically-repaired Achilles. He just missed a home run with his sacrifice fly in the ninth. All in all, a good day.
The assumption was that Howard would DH for a couple more games before playing the field, but he’s actually scheduled to play first base today. The 32-year-old slugger figures to need most of his 20-day rehab window to get into game-shape and get his timing down at the plate, but things are looking up for the Fightins.
CSNPhilly.com has video of Howard’s at-bats and some post-game comments:
- Report: Mets “pushing very hard” for Carlos Gomez 2
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 36
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 63
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)