Jun 29, 2012, 8:28 PM EST
Brewers manager Ron Roenicke told Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel this afternoon that Marcum will be sidelined through the All-Star break. The 30-year-old right-hander has been playing catch on a daily basis to gauge his progress, but the team simply hasn’t seen enough improvement in his symptoms.
“Threw again today; still felt it,” Roenicke said. “A little better, but still felt it. I don’t think he’ll make a start before the all-star break. I don’t think there’s any way we can do that.
“But hopefully we get him to where he’s confident that he can go out there and throw the ball and not feel anything. That’s where we’re trying to get to.”
Marcum previously underwent Tommy John surgery back in 2008 and missed the entire 2009 season, but two MRIs have ruled out any new damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow. For now, the Brewers will just have to hope that the soreness subsides with rest.
Marcum, who is due to become a free agent this winter, has a 3.39 ERA and 77/26 K/BB ratio in 82 1/3 innings across 13 starts this season. Marco Estrada and rookie Michael Fiers will continue to get starts during his absence.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)