Jun 29, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
Brewers manager Ron Roenicke told Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel this afternoon that Marcum will be sidelined through the All-Star break. The 30-year-old right-hander has been playing catch on a daily basis to gauge his progress, but the team simply hasn’t seen enough improvement in his symptoms.
“Threw again today; still felt it,” Roenicke said. “A little better, but still felt it. I don’t think he’ll make a start before the all-star break. I don’t think there’s any way we can do that.
“But hopefully we get him to where he’s confident that he can go out there and throw the ball and not feel anything. That’s where we’re trying to get to.”
Marcum previously underwent Tommy John surgery back in 2008 and missed the entire 2009 season, but two MRIs have ruled out any new damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow. For now, the Brewers will just have to hope that the soreness subsides with rest.
Marcum, who is due to become a free agent this winter, has a 3.39 ERA and 77/26 K/BB ratio in 82 1/3 innings across 13 starts this season. Marco Estrada and rookie Michael Fiers will continue to get starts during his absence.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)