Jun 29, 2012, 4:05 PM EST
UPDATE: MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that it’s a two-year, $7 million extension through 2014.
4:05 PM: It was everything I could do to not append my usual “for some reason” to the end of that headline. But I’m trying to be nicer. Anyway, Jerry Crasnick reports that the Twins and Doumit are nearing a multi-year deal.
I sort of liked the one-year deal they gave Doumit in the offseason. They didn’t know how much they’d be getting from Joe Mauer and where, so sure, even though Doumit is a terrible defensive catcher, he could be useful.
But multiple years? Eh, not sure I see why they want to do that, or at least why they want to do that now. There are 1B/DH guys with some pop available every winter, so why anyone would want to make that kind of commitment is kind of beyond me. It’s not like the Twins are one moderately-useful bopper away from a pennant, ya know?
Oh well. Doumit is hitting .271/.332/.443 on the year with 7 homers while splittling time between catching and DH. And soon he’ll have better job security than a lot of other should-be journeyman sluggers.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)