Jun 29, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that it’s a two-year, $7 million extension through 2014.
4:05 PM: It was everything I could do to not append my usual “for some reason” to the end of that headline. But I’m trying to be nicer. Anyway, Jerry Crasnick reports that the Twins and Doumit are nearing a multi-year deal.
I sort of liked the one-year deal they gave Doumit in the offseason. They didn’t know how much they’d be getting from Joe Mauer and where, so sure, even though Doumit is a terrible defensive catcher, he could be useful.
But multiple years? Eh, not sure I see why they want to do that, or at least why they want to do that now. There are 1B/DH guys with some pop available every winter, so why anyone would want to make that kind of commitment is kind of beyond me. It’s not like the Twins are one moderately-useful bopper away from a pennant, ya know?
Oh well. Doumit is hitting .271/.332/.443 on the year with 7 homers while splittling time between catching and DH. And soon he’ll have better job security than a lot of other should-be journeyman sluggers.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)