Jun 29, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that it’s a two-year, $7 million extension through 2014.
4:05 PM: It was everything I could do to not append my usual “for some reason” to the end of that headline. But I’m trying to be nicer. Anyway, Jerry Crasnick reports that the Twins and Doumit are nearing a multi-year deal.
I sort of liked the one-year deal they gave Doumit in the offseason. They didn’t know how much they’d be getting from Joe Mauer and where, so sure, even though Doumit is a terrible defensive catcher, he could be useful.
But multiple years? Eh, not sure I see why they want to do that, or at least why they want to do that now. There are 1B/DH guys with some pop available every winter, so why anyone would want to make that kind of commitment is kind of beyond me. It’s not like the Twins are one moderately-useful bopper away from a pennant, ya know?
Oh well. Doumit is hitting .271/.332/.443 on the year with 7 homers while splittling time between catching and DH. And soon he’ll have better job security than a lot of other should-be journeyman sluggers.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)