Jun 29, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
The Twins lost 99 games last year. This year, they’re on pace to lose 96. Their minor league system boasts one potential star in Miguel Sano but is otherwise probably among the weakest in the game. Maybe cashing in the 33-year-old outfielder with a history of back problems wouldn’t be such a bad idea?
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Twins aren’t listening on Josh Willingham, though. They will consider moving Denard Span, who is five years younger but who could be replaced in center field by Ben Revere.
Given their place in the standings, the Twins really should be open to moving anyone. No one is going to make a big offer for Joe Mauer‘s huge contract, so he stays. However, everyone else — Justin Morneau included — should be able to be had.
Willingham has been outstanding with his .272/.384/.535 line and 49 RBI this year, and given that he’s just in the first year of a three-year, $21 million contract, it’s understandable that the Twins wouldn’t want to part with him. Still, his value probably won’t ever be higher, and it’s doubtful the Twins are going to win with him next year. By the time 2014 rolls around, Willingham will be 35 and probably won’t be the same player. If they can get two quality prospects for him now, they should pull the trigger.
Span is hitting .277/.341/.396 this season, which should give his trade value a modest boost. The Nationals have often been mentioned in connection with him, and a deal involving him and closer Drew Storen was discussed last year. The Twins still might be interested in such a trade once Storen returns from minor elbow surgery next month. The Marlins are another team that could pursue Span.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)